Thread: H & M or Taylor King?

Conflicted Guest

Default H & M or Taylor King?

I've been having a hard time deciding between a leather and upholstery for my sofa. If I go with leather I will definately buy H & M.

But, if I do ultimately go for upholstery am I better off focusing on H & M or Taylor King in my search? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Are the frames of comparable quality? Taylor King has some very nice looking fabric - is there a significant up charge to put it on an H & M piece?

My current microfiber on a stapled knotty pine frame is not going to last much longer - I have got to pull the trigger here!
    Last edited by Conflicted; 06-20-2013 at 12:57 PM.

needstuff Guest

Default Re: H & M or Taylor King?

It's been posted elsewhere that you can use Taylor King, Councill, and Jessica Charles fabrics on an H&M piece and have it count as "in the family", without the upcharge associated with using "Customer's Own Material". There is even a conversion chart for converting the various makers' fabric grades to H&M. Sadly though, the makers don't show the grades of all the fabrics they list on-line. And even if they were all listed, the pricing differentials for the various H&M fabric grades are not public information either.

For me it was simpler, I couldn't find Taylor King couches I liked that I was confident would fit through my front door.
    (And not many H&M's either. Earth to makers: not everyone lives in a Mcmansion!)
    Last edited by needstuff; 06-20-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Conflicted Guest

Thanks, I found the conversion chart - I knew I had read there was a way to put Taylor King upholstery on an H & M piece.

And I hear you on the mansion comment - my very old house even has a couple of bedroom doors that are 24" so I am always thinking about the "can I get it in? " question. And , no Duane, I have no plans to "modify my ingress for fitment."

So to the other part of my question, are the Taylor King and H & M frames of comparable quality? Is there any reason to choose one over the other if I am getting an upholstered sofa?

I think Taylor King offers an excellent value to cost product, especially in their Portfolio promotional line. Unfortunately, they have requested that I not scan that into the forum database so you can't see what that collection is without going to a dealer to see the product - and not all dealers carry it. I see no noticeable difference in Taylor King build vs Hancock & Moore. Generally speaking, you'll get better pricing in leather from a leather house (H&M) and better fabric pricing from a fabric house (TK).

Fitment through doors can be challenging on certain frames. You can't tell by the measurements of the product vs. your door however - as things go on angles through doorways. 90% off all product goes through doors 34.5" or larger.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Conflicted View Post
    Thanks, I found the conversion chart - I knew I had read there was a way to put Taylor King upholstery on an H & M piece.

And I hear you on the mansion comment - my very old house even has a couple of bedroom doors that are 24" so I am always thinking about the "can I get it in? " question. And , no Duane, I have no plans to "modify my ingress for fitment."

So to the other part of my question, are the Taylor King and H & M frames of comparable quality? Is there any reason to choose one over the other if I am getting an upholstered sofa?
    I'm having a hard time finding TK fabric i like so my question is, can i put fabrics from Councill, Jessica Charles or Hancock and Moore on a Taylor King Cozy Collections? I'm just looking for a light tan/brown non rayon fabric...Hoping for something in a light chocolate milk like color or toast or cream color. Doug, do you have any favorites that might fit the bill that I can ask TK for swatches of?

Councill is no longer part of the Group. You can interchange using this list. Notice there is a handling or Conversion Fee (this is at MSRP, the fee would not be that high at most stores).

You can look at the samples online and request free swatches - up to a dozen per company. Note that I do not carry Highland House or Century, and cannot get those samples for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch2.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	8093

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch1.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	8094
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.