We had snow here in the Wash DC region all day yesterday and bitter cold (18 degress at my house this morning) along with 35 to 40 mph winds today. I made the decision to cancel the seven local deliveries we were going to make today. It was not the snow so much as ice and wind. All my customers were understanding, and its done to protect not only the client's furniture, but my delivery crew from injuries. I think this is only the 4th time in 37 years I cancelled deliveries, it doesn't happen very often.

The problem in the winter is always at the customer's home. We are fine to load the trucks and drive the roads. When we get to homes however, the walkway to the house is never very good. Most the driveways, steps and sidewalks have ice on them. Customers will say they could not find any ice melt at the stores, or have a bad back and can't shovel the walkway ahead of delivery. The re-re-freeze at night means glare ice in the morning. Now that ice is not so bad when you are simply walking out to get the newspaper, because you can see it and step around it, and if you have small slip you can catch yourself. When you are carrying a sofa into the house you cannot see the ground, and any slip cannot be recovered as the person is on the end of a 250 lb sofa. So down they go, and the new sofa goes with it and will most certainly get some scuffs as a result.. We don't want that, and you don't want that. Additionally, many people ask the delivery crew to take their shoes or boots off coming in the house, and we can't do that, either as that's a loss of traction.

So a reminder if you live in snow country and are going to get a delivery of furniture, appliances, anything of bulk and weight. YOU need to clear that walks and make sure there is no ice on the pathway to your home. Don't expect the delivery crews to bring shovels and ice melt, and lay out a matt on the inside of the doorway if you have concerns about tracking into your home. Keep it safe for the delivery crew - it's important!