Thread: A couple questions about B-Y swivel gliders

Elezar Guest

Default A couple questions about B-Y swivel gliders

I'm looking at recliners, and would prefer a swivel glider. There are 2 B-Y models I'm looking at (7301 Bancroft & 7411 Barcelo) that are both listed as Wall Huggers. Is it possible to get them in "standard" recliner format (Still with the swivel glider, just reclining back instead of sliding forward)? Or are they only offered as Wall Huggers?

Also, a lot of the B-Y recliners have Inside releases. Is it possible to swap that with the type where you just push back on the arms to recline? If so, is there an extra charge for that?

Default Re: A couple questions about B-Y swivel gliders

Recliner mechanisms by the way they are built won't allow for a standard recliner to have swivel/glider capability, they have to go on Wall hugger mechanisms. And that applies to any maker as they are all using the same basic mechanisms which don't differ much from the various suppliers.

A Wall Hugger Mechanism is spring loaded, and the release 'trips' the mechanism so the chair comes 'forward' to bring up its footrest. On a conventional mechanism, you push on the arms (or raise a an outside lever) to overcome the springs to push back. Two different ways to get to a recline position. Wall huggers are harder to get closed up, you have to kick the footpiece pretty good to get them to close up, some people have trouble with this and complain about the resistance to close a Wall hugger.

One solution to overcoming that trip release / kick down on the Wall Huggers is to go with a power recliner. I like them more and more as they let you stop the chair recline anywhere along the path and they operate much more smoothly with less drama. Once you overcome the stigma of "only old people need that" then you may see the benefits of the power recliner. In the past three months rechargeable battery packs have just come out on the power units as well, like a cordless drill. Now you don't have to plug them in the wall to an outlet. All the makers are offering battery packs now on their power recliners.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Elezar Guest

Thanks for the info! As usual though, more knowledge just brings on more questions.

For the battery packs, does the charger come with it, and is the pack easily accessible to remove it for charging when necessary? Also, do you have an idea on prices for replacement packs, when the current one bites it (hopefully it would last several years, but I don't know of any rechargeable battery that could last the decades I'm hoping the furniture itself will last)? And, finally, how much extra does it cost to add a power reclining option with battery pack, to a B-Y swivel glider?

Yes, you get a battery pack and a charger. I'm told the battery itself is good for 400 charges before it needs replacement, and that a single charge will allow for 200 duty cycles on the recliner itself. B-Y guarantees the battery pack for 2 years. Recharge time is 8 hours. $ 263 for the battery option....may not retrofit to all models, I would have to check.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.