Thread: Food or Cards

Puerto Beach Guest

Default Food or Cards

Naturally we are looking at furniture hence this post by the way we do have tow children 7 & 11. Our house is a modular home and the living room is not huge.

Well after reading too much information with opposing and conflicting opinions some consistent threads of truth seem to emerge but it is very confusing to a novice furniture consumer.

I want a Sofa and Love seat. The Ideal combination would be a sofa that is stationary and a love seat that has duel power recliners that match

I am interested in a leather sofa. I like the appearance of a traditional nail decorated piece for example The Parker House Neptune Leather Dual Reclining Sofa is the style that appeals to me. We looked a three store in Duluth MN which is 1.5 hour drive for us. We went to HOM, Schiedermans, and Slumberland. Well what an education we saw a very limited group within the style we were interested in. Slumberland was rather humorous the salesman when asked about a particular sofa couldn’t even tell me who manufactured it off the top of his head much less how it was built or speak about quality comparisons wasted trip to that franchise. They carried very low-end stuff that even I knew would break down in the truck on the way to my house.

The other two stores had some variety but when all was said, seen, and sat on. The most comfortable set we tried was from the Latitudes collection Flex steel Crosstown Group. Naturally it was the last day of the 4th of July sale and the sale price for both pieces were around $3500 dollars. They were within $40 dollars of the quote from the other store that carried the Latitudes collection Flex steel Belmont Group. They were slightly different styles that I assume were constructed in the same manner using the same level of quality supplies. Each store just had the rights to sell one or some other variation I am guessing.
    Well I just couldn’t pull the trigger. My wife wanted to get the pair but I just didn’t know enough about the product or manufacturer and $3500 is a lot of money.
    I found this forum and it is extremely helpful. The more I read the less I know. In the end I want to get a decent set that I can sit in and afford. After reading about quality I wish I could afford some thing along the style line of Parker House Neptune Leather Dual Reclining Sofa except made by Hancock and Moore. I have looked through the catalog and can’t fins a group of matching sofa and love seat along the Neptune style look.
    I really like the look of 9030-30PR Rodeo Power Station Reclining Sofa but it has no matching love seat companion that I am aware of. Even if it did Duane I am sure that the combination would retail off the charts and even with a 50% discount still allowed till the end of the month would be over $6000 dollars minimum for two pieces. Let me know if I am wrong or you have an alternative set that you think is close to that style made by Hancock and Moore but I fear my heart and desire for such quality is trying to write a check that can’t be cashed.

Having said that I then look to REID SOFA L/R FULL RECLINE | 912-90 I would be interestd to see what you think about it. The style looks good is it better constructed that the flex steel and is it made in the USA. Might it be an acceptable alternative to the H & M given that I am priced out of the kind of quality. I understand the Latitude series is made in China and the leather is questionable but is the construction of the couch itself horrific also. I see the Seven Seas line is made in China also. I give up.

Duane and others so there’s my dilemma. I do have limited funds; yes I am one of those Americans who are prostituting price point against quality, but not by choice, by resources.
    I am willing to spend more to get a better quality within limits. It comes down to two choices as I see it. One just get the flex steel one we looked at and live with the Kmart quality or step up and get the Bradington Young. Is the Seven Sea collection made in China better that the Flex Steel series made in China.

Ok I’m done help! Any advise ad insight given my circumstance would be most welcome.

Default Re: Food or Cards

Not a fan of Flexsteel Lattitudes myself. I find it sub-standard.

Bradington Young 912 series (in my opinion, and I am biased as I sell it) is the best bang for the buck out there. I really like that series. H&M will be way out of the ballpark, $$$-wise. Cross that off the list. If you do the BY 912 in Married Cover (there are two colorways and the leather is decent), you can get a sofa for $ 2,519 (had dual recliners) and the loveseat (dual recliners) for $ 2,379. Plus shipping/delivery fees. It's USA-made and you can expect that to last you 20 + years.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.