Thread: Low-E double pane windows and leather sun damage

Gatsby Guest

Default Low-E double pane windows and leather sun damage

We have replaced all our windows with low- e double pane glass. Will I still have to worry about UV damage to my leather furniture? I can't put uv film on these windows because it voids the warranty.

Default Re: Low-E double pane windows and leather sun damage

What level of uv rejection does your glass manufacturer claim? Typical low e glass can reject 80-85% of uv rays. Most uv film claims greater than 90-95% rejection. The difference is minimal.

It will slow down sun damage considerably but not eliminate it entirely.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Gatsby Guest

I finally received my Leather Magic Kit from the company and have applied the UV spray to the new Sadler recliner following the directions on the bottle. Is the piece protected now? How often does this application need to be repeated? Is it dried on the surface of the leather or has it soaked in? Leather is Kipling Java.

The chair is in a sun room with Low E glass and windows on the east and south. I've tried contacting the glass installers to find out about the UV rating but they don't respond. Frustrating since I paid a lot of money to replace all the glass in the house with low e.

I understand the heat reflection properties of low e but does low e automatically block most UV or is that something extra I would have had to pay for?

You should be good to go, no idea on how long it lasts or how to tell. Call them to ask I would guess.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Low-E glass can come in various forms. Some manufacturers spray on a coating and may use Argon between panes of double or triple pane glass. Other manufacturers will add special components such as silver compounds to the actual glass manufacturing process to achieve the desired properties to reject certain spectrum of sunlight. While the goal is to reject primarily infrared wavelength the low-e glass can also reject ultraviolet wavelengths. Window film achieves similar results in the UV spectrum and is useful for application to existing glass rather than replacing.

You have taken steps to protect your leather by installing low-e glass and applying a uv protection coating on your leather.
    If you have additional concern look at additional strategies such as window coverings or furniture coverings for summer days or during absence from the room, or possibly furniture location/orientation within your room (if you are like my wife you could periodically rearrange the furniture placement from time to time thereby creating a new look).

Most importantly enjoy your recliner and if noticeable fading does occur over time look at this as part of the life cycle of the piece like you would with normal wear and tear. You have taken responsible steps and are far ahead of the average leather furniture owner.