Thread: Oh no, I took my husband furniture shopping . . .

pcboston Guest

Smile Oh no, I took my husband furniture shopping . . .

Oh no, I took my husband furniture shopping, and he was thrilled with the aviation themed chairs at Restoration Hardware (http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...yId=cat2400262). Curses! These 28" high chairs (regardless of leather choice) do not go with the 37.5" high Schumaker Hancock & Moore sofa (in antiqued saddle with truscan detailing) I've been considering for our living room.

But, my husband is a former fighter pilot, and I know he'd love to have the aviator chairs, so could anyone suggest a sofa that might match from H&M? I was thinking about the Aria (5719-3) Sofa, because of the styling and 31" height. My husband and I aren't anywhere near tall, so the smaller sofa dimensions aren't a deterrent. Then again, Restoration Hardware has sofas, but I haven't been terribly taken with any of their styles.

I really liked the short depth of the Shumaker, the tight back, and the seat height (nice for little legs!).

I'd appreciate any suggestions (I'm open to other brands, too!).

Many thanks!
    PC

Default Re: Oh no, I took my husband furniture shopping . . .

Wow. That's a real 'industrial' look. I think those Fighter Pilot chairs would be fun for about a week....and after that....not so sure. I wish I could make a recommendation, but I really don't have one I think will go with tuck n' roll, alimimum and pop rivets. Sorry.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pcboston, what a challenge! Duane, since H&M do custom work, couldn't they add a couple of wings to the 'cockpit' of one of their sofas?!

The whole thing doesn't make sense. Airplane seats are designed to save weight, not be comfortable! Why would anyone choose to live with those if they didn't have to? At any rate, they aren't appropriate for a living room, put them in the game room.

hglaber Guest

I think they're meant to evoke classic airplane construction (with the polished metal and rivets). They're not meant to look/act like actual airplane seats. They do seem like they'd be best in a "themed" room with other airplane stuff surrounding it. I would be afraid to try and decorate around them, as well as the fear I would get sick of them. That's why my modern stuff is on its way out, even though I still like some of it.

I have to wonder if H&M would even have the tools, let along skills, needed for metalwork. However, if you gotta have them, I believe you can have H&M work up channel quilting on just about anything. That would tie them together somewhat, especially if you can get close to the color.

In fact H&M used to make a chair a lot like that, but without the metal. I was disappointed when it didn't make the cut, although a swivel chair version remains in the line (I think) called the Monza.

Quote Originally Posted by hglaber View Post
    I think they're meant to evoke classic airplane construction (with the polished metal and rivets). They're not meant to look/act like actual airplane seats.
    Exactly! They evoke uncomfortable seats that eschew comfort for weight. Who's nostalgic for that?

alexradden002 Guest

I know you say that the size doesn't fit well, but I really do love those aviation chairs at Restoration Hardware. Good luck on your search!!

AshleyK Guest

Okay I'm gonna be a Debbie downer. That is a very specific style. If you don't love those chairs [and IMHO when you are investing that kind of money you should LOOOOOVVVVVE those chairs] as well you will get sick of them fast and if you are anything like me you will want to (or might actually, haha) kick your husband every time you look at them while giving him the stink eye, haha.
    Do you have a basement or a space he can make his own? If so and there is a little extra $$ left over maybe you could offer to get him a new TV for that room too, I bet there will be some great Labor Day deals (the BX/PX will price match competitors in store sale prices, Best Buy has the same in store prices as their online prices). If he still won't budge I would go with a 40's style tobacco brown leather sofa. Personally I would avoid any other metal pieces, let the chairs be the focal point. Good luck, I know we want our spouses to love their home too.

AshleyK Guest

@pcboston

https://www.jossandmain.com/Get-in-G...from_product=0

I don't know about this brand, color or the gold tacking embellishment but I thought this style sofa might look nice with the chairs your hubby likes.