Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new CHEVY VOLT

MADEINUSA Guest

Default new CHEVY VOLT

We bought a Chevy VOLT last week ,had a good but expensive run with my Passat,had to part ways with it finally at 130000 miles,it still had a few thousand miles in it but starting to get worried about the very frequent quirky electrical and some mechanical problems .I like to plan ahead and so started test driving all available mid size and full size sedans back in 2011,finally narrowed down to Honda Accord and lexus ES350,Still not very enthusiastic about shelling out big bucks for a foreign brand car,I am not a US citizen by birth but believe in american exceptionalism,I prefer to buy locally and USA made stuff as much as possible(thats what led me to Hancock and Moore and the Keeping room).Started looking around and stumBled across Chevy Volt,rather I was very oblivious to it all along,It was a pleasant and exhilarating experience test driving this car.We bought the Volt primarily for my dear wife to commute to work,no more than 20 miles round trip daily.Buying process was very pleasant and breezy,have dealt with quite a few pushy and no knowledgeable(just like many furniture salesmen at big box furniture stores)car sales people over past 12 yrs,but tis time was very different.The salesman was very professional,knew inside out about the car he was selling,went out of his way to make the buying process a memorable experience.Its been a week since we took delivery of the car,drove about 200 miles including work and around town,all electric miles,no gas used at all.Still early to proclaim it the best car in the world,which I am sure it is.But reading the views and reviews of fellow VOLT owners I am convinced that GM got it right this time with the VOLT.I just want to end my monologue by reminding all to BUY AMERICAN-a job you save could well be yours.

Default Re: new CHEVY VOLT

Can I buy a Nissan Leaf if it is built in Tennesee?

I wish GM would do more to promote the Volt. Right now, spiking gas prices are about the only boost the Volt gets. It is still a bit of a red-haired stepchild--like Saturn used to be.

The Chevy Volt is one of the best bargains you can buy in my opinion (and I'm a Car Nut). You get one heck of an engineering platform for around $ 40K, and generous Federal Tax Credits if you buy a new one. GM is losing close to $ 30,000 on every one it makes, they are complex cars that are light years ahead of the Nissan Leaf, which is a dead-loss battery system that is out of juice at 240 miles or so. The Volt you can drive from LA to NYC because its gasoline engine is an onboard generator.

Me? I'm keen on the new Porsche 918. 887 HP, 1/4 mile times of 10 seconds, & minute lap times on the "Ring and yet it gets 71 MpG on the European Cycle. Killer good looks. Nothing like it. But there's a little problem. They are $ 845,000 each and 400 of the 918 unit run are already spoken for. I figure if everyone on the forum buys ten sofas from me in the next 90 days, and get all their relatives to get half a dozen as well, then I can get one. I can't even imagine the insurance and Virginia Personal Property tax on that one!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

harland Guest

Tesla seems to be the new hotness right now and it will get very interesting if the rollout of the charging stations actually happens. They (recently?) opened a storefront at Tysons Corner Center, near Microsoft. You can climb in the Model S and fiddle around with the gadgets. I think the interior room and feel is similar to the Accord - somewhat luxe, but erring on the conservative side. They also have a cutaway of a motor and the bare chassis on display. Very cool for those who are mechanically / technically inclined. Unfortunately, you can't buy one at the store due to dealership laws...

Telsa is hot - but I just can't pay $ 100K for a car with a dead loss system. And that massive iPad in the console says 'computer geek' to me!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Congratulations on the new Volt! I am surprised how due to either bad marketing or media misinformation how few people GET the Chevy Volt and what it can and can't do. No it can't go 100+ miles on a charge but it can go around 400 miles without stopping for charging or gas. This car is the perfect electric vehicle for people who drive less than 40 miles a day usually but enjoy going on weekend trips. You don't use gas during the week (if you charge when needed) and yet got a vehicle that is ready for a cross country trip as long as there are gas stations to fuel up at.

As for buying American vs. foreign it's amazing now a days where they are assembled, parts for are sourced from, and where the money really ends up.

sarjah87 Guest

Oh, I consider to buy a new car as well. Maybe the Volt could be a good choice...

earlh Guest

GM, Ford, Chrysler, Tesla, etc., all junk. Do not buy, period. This is NOT Hancock and Moore. This is NOT furniture. American companies cannot build cars and have not built a decent car since the 60s. Don't believe me? Try one, but do plan on being at the dealer every other weak for service, so make sure you have a second car. Those rental fees add up. Then, go look at the resale value of the domestics. It's laughable. That should tell you something. When a Toyota, Honda, or even Nissan sedan resales for double that of a domestic, why doesn't that say it all? Do you think Ford nearly while GM and Chrysler both went bankrupt for no reason? Of course not. They've been building junk for years, and still do. Although, I'm all for American made, I wouldn't touch one of these brands with a 10-foot pole. Save your sanity, and buy ANYTHING but American when it comes to the automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by earlh View Post
    GM, Ford, Chrysler, Tesla, etc., all junk. Do not buy, period. This is NOT Hancock and Moore. This is NOT furniture. American companies cannot build cars and have not built a decent car since the 60s. Don't believe me? Try one, but do plan on being at the dealer every other weak for service, so make sure you have a second car. Those rental fees add up. Then, go look at the resale value of the domestics. It's laughable. That should tell you something. When a Toyota, Honda, or even Nissan sedan resales for double that of a domestic, why doesn't that say it all? Do you think Ford nearly while GM and Chrysler both went bankrupt for no reason? Of course not. They've been building junk for years, and still do. Although, I'm all for American made, I wouldn't touch one of these brands with a 10-foot pole. Save your sanity, and buy ANYTHING but American when it comes to the automobile.
    I am going to say I disagree with your blanket statement of don't buy an American automobile because now a days there are good "American" vehicles and not so good "imported" vehicles. I do understand where you are coming from and the American automotive companies didn't do themselves any favors in the 70s/80s and early 90s with a lot of their products. The reason I put American and imported in quotes is sometimes an American car has very little domestic content and is made outside the county and some "imported" brands are full of domestic content and made in America.

earlh Guest

Well, you might be right. Maybe American makers have improved their quality, and for our sake I hope so. But I'm not ready to find out - that's for sure. The old adage, "fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me" comes to mind whenever I even begin to think of GM, Ford, etc.. So I refuse to ever buy one again, and my advice to anyone else would be to avoid at all costs. Of course, they're not all gonna listen.