Thread: Need Help Choosing Cushions

reginarose7721 Guest

Default Need Help Choosing Cushions

After a long (mostly online) search, I am almost ready to purchase an approx 84" sofa for our family room. However, I would appreciate some help deciding (1) whether to order a 2-over-1 (i.e. bench seat) or a 2-over-2 cushion configuration; and (2) whether to go with the company's standard Ultra Crown seat cushion or upgrade to Spring Down. Is it just "personal preference" or are there appearance, wear, comfort, longevity, etc. considerations someone can advise me on? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Default Re: Need Help Choosing Cushions

I like a Spring Down Marshall unit when used with fabric covers. I will almost always pick a 2/2 configuration as well as a 1-seat bench on an 84" sofa will rise at the ends if someone sits down near the middle, making it look very messy.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

needstuff Guest

Default Re: Need Help Choosing Cushions

My current 84" sofa has a a one-piece back (tight-back, tufted) and a 3- seat bench. I think that's what we're going to go with again. FWIW.
    That sofa has 72" inner seating width, so three people can really comfortably sit there. It's intended largely as guest seating, and the middle seat actually gets used when we are entertaining.

I've checked out a number of 2/2, two-seat cushion sofas recently where, when you're sitting in the middle, you actually can't feel the middle cracks. So functionally they would be fine for seating three. However they don't look like they would be fine, and that would be a deterrent to someone from wanting to sit in the middle, IMO.

For looks, the one particular sofa I personally liked best had a 2 cushion back with a 1 seat bench. I'm not sure that particualar one would rise much at the sides when seated in the middle because it had a down seat.
    But it's a valid concern. But the other thing is, when less than three people are sitting in my couch, at least, nobody ever sits in the middle. Because the middle doesn't have arm rests. so the scenario of puckering at both ends would rarely happen. On mine at least.

I've noticed a lot of sofas being offered today have a lot less seating room than my older sofa. If the sofa can't comfortably seat three in the first place then this becomes a non-issue.
    Last edited by needstuff; 07-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.