Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing For a High End Sofa

debbimc Guest

Question Pricing For a High End Sofa

Duane, I took off work today & drove to OKC. I went to a couple of high end store s& they had one H&M sofa--It was a Payne or Somerset--I don't know which leather. It was marked at $8,460. My friend that was with me just about passed out. I tried to explain that I may be able to get same brand different style much cheaper that would be a quality piece of furniture. I was sticker shocked too! I had lost her so I dropped it. If you could have seen the look on her face ( she may think I am doing something I shouldn't be if I am going to spend those $$ for a sofa) LOL... I was a little dismayed as well. H & M may very well be far out of my price range..but it is fun to look. The sales staff were busy & seemed a little stuffy at both the stores.
    I need a piece that is not too deep. Could you or anyone advice on comfort of Tarleton, Citizen or Bradley? And I see two differnt Bradley #'s, 1944 & 4115. What is the differnce in the Bradley's. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

debbimc Guest

Question

After looking at thread on T&C program, it appears the Bradley sofa is available but I could not determine the leather by looking at the excle document? could you direct me? is the citizen not available In T&C?

I'm not even sure I can get an H&M sofa to $ 8.460! That's sectional territory pricing (at least in my store). The # 4180 Payne sofa in a grade 3 leather is $ 4,039 for example, and after the 5% sale period we are not in, drops to $ 3,837. Some stores are using outdated market pricing models and deserve exactly the 'pass out' reaction of your friend. That might have worked in 1992, but it won't wash in 2009. Smart retailers adapt, old school ones will perish.

Your best bang for the buck in Hancock and Moore is always going to be in the Town and Country program, without exception. The # 4419 Bradley in that program comes in Document Saddle as the lead leather and is priced at $ 3,324 (plus shipping) and any other Document color at $ 67 more.

The Bradley series are all built on the same chassis, they just vary in size and leg style from one another, thats the only differences.

Comfort is so much personal preference that I always hesitate to recommend one over another. Different body types, and preferences for back angles along with firmness sit means that one what one person loves the other isn't so keen about. One thing that holds fairly certain across the line is to check the back heights when comparing sofas by the numbers. As a general rule, the taller the back the more it will cushion and support the neck and head which typically means it will be more comfortable. 34" high sofa backs pretty much stop at the shoulders for most people, so look for 36" and higher if comfort is a higher criteria than style.

The Citizen sofa is not part of the T&C program, however the recliner is.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Odd I/O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by debbimc View Post
    Duane, I took off work today & drove to OKC. I went to a couple of high end store s& they had one H&M sofa--It was a Payne or Somerset--I don't know which leather. It was marked at $8,460. My friend that was with me just about passed out. I tried to explain that I may be able to get same brand different style much cheaper that would be a quality piece of furniture. I was sticker shocked too! I had lost her so I dropped it. If you could have seen the look on her face ( she may think I am doing something I shouldn't be if I am going to spend those $$ for a sofa) LOL... I was a little dismayed as well. H & M may very well be far out of my price range..but it is fun to look. The sales staff were busy & seemed a little stuffy at both the stores.
    I need a piece that is not too deep. Could you or anyone advice on comfort of Tarleton, Citizen or Bradley? And I see two differnt Bradley #'s, 1944 & 4115. What is the differnce in the Bradley's. Assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Up here in Canada I had a high end furniture store quote me from $7500 to $11500 CDN (Class 1 to 5). It seems to me that the more exposed wood on a piece the more expensive it is.

debbimc Guest

Default Quest for Duane

Well it seems I am going with th BY sofa due to $$. I am not going to look at another picture of a HAncock Moore! I don't want to keep temptimg myself. I am a state employee & who knows what the economy is going to bring. I am optimistic but need to be wise. ANYWAY,...the BY sofa is Cavendish 524-95 & the leather is 9474-85F. I understand this is King street leather which is middle grade?? Duane, do you have a sample of this? If so, what do you think? What would your price be on this what shipping time ??

It is a scavenger hunt to see BY or HM leather samples where I live. WEbsite says they have hundreds & store may have 10samples! Frustrating..BY needs to put it on web like HM.

Hi Debbi,

That leather was regraded as a Class 4 (London Park) in December 2008. Its probably still in the dealer handle as a Class 3 (King Street) as they haven't sent any stickers or notifications out to the dealers, other than looking it up in the master price book. I still have it in my Grade 3 handle as well. I called to verify and its definitely a Class 4 hide now. They do have that leather in stock, so production time is about 6 weeks.

The leather itself looks identical to H&M Document Saddle. I'd bet $ 100 its the same hide. That means its sourced from China, is a semi-aniline, has a tough protective topcoat and yet is still supple. It has a hand-glazed finished on it which means it has a 'mottled' look to it. See any of the Document H&M photos in the PHOTO RESOURCE section on the forum under LEATHER.

Price on that one would be $ 2,309 plus shipping. Thanks!
    Duane Collie

debbimc Guest

Hi Duane, The swatch I have--I really like BUt I went back & read thread on basic leather 101. I am scared--you mentioned mottled. When I go in a store my preference is the more evenly colored leathers. The leathers that look several shades darker or lighter in the various areas are not my preference. I looked at the HM document & it is hard to discern. I am going to basically order it without knowing--I guess everyone does this when ordering from a swatch. There is no option for me if I want BY or HM. NOW I am really concerned-its not like ordering from a fabric swatch! Is there any advice, etc. OMG I want to like it when it arrives (no choice) I have enough buyers remorse just from spending money! I WILL have it for a long time Someone say something reassuring....

eft Guest

IMHO, the colors of the leathers on H&M's website are not even close to what they look like in person.

debbimc Guest

It is a gamble then? I am ready to order & now I am doubting what I need to do. The mottled part bothers me. I don't mind some mottle but some leathers -for my tastes are much to mottled.

Don't worry, let me look at some other swatches when I get back in the store. I think I can pick you out a better leather in the same color family for less money.
    Duane Collie