Thread: Seeking leather sofa and loveseat in NYC

Manny Guest

Default Seeking leather sofa and loveseat in NYC

I'm sorry if these questions have been covered before but I could not find suitable information from searching through the forums.
    We've had a basic black leather sofa and loveseat for over 10 years and they have served us well. They don't look brand new but they are structurally intact and look like they could last for even longer. We however don't like how they look, they are somewhat frumpy and bulky. We paid about $1500 for the pair which at the time was a great deal. No idea about the brand.
    We are looking for a new pair with the following kept in mind:
    1. $6k or under for both, prefer cheaper
    2. Decent construction that will last at least 10 years. I know I can get very high quality bullet proof construction but feel like that would be overkill.
    3. We like the look of the RH Sorensen sofa, i.e. something on sturdy wooden (not metal) legs so that there is some room underneath to make the room look more spacious. On the other hand the Sorensen has high sides so not great if you want to hang your legs over the edge.
    4. Not looking for something that looks like an antique, want something sleek, clean modern design but very comfortable and deep. The seating will be used for lounging and occasional sleeping and there will be a toddler (hence leather).
    5. We should be able to see and feel the sofa in person, i.e. physical store in NYC.
    6. Delivery time should be quick. Not willing to wait more than 1-2 months for delivery.
    7. The rest of our furniture is all medium to dark Indonesian/Indian woods and so dark leather goes perfectly.

I know we can check out stores like West Elm, Pottery Bard, Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, CB2, Ikea, Design Within Reach, Room & Board, etc. but not sure which ones to start with and which ones will hold up in the long term (10yrs+). I've heard Room & Board and RH don't have great quality products any more for the prices they command.
    I am looking for suggestions on (a) which stores to visit (b) what brands/models to consider

Default Re: Seeking leather sofa and loveseat in NYC

10 years is not a long time for a quality built piece, raise your standards and expect 20!

You should easily be able to get a decent grouping for $ 6K.

Most pieces built in the USA can deliver in 6 to 8 weeks or so.

You're shopping trendy stores, try a real furniture store instead. Definitely avoid Pottery Barn and Room and Board, as well as IKEA. Restoration Hardware quality is decent, but you can still do better at a real furniture store IMHO. IF you were at my store I'd be showing you Bradington Young or a few on the Hancock & Moore frames in the Town and Country collection (the later will push your budget a bit, but not too badly). Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Manny Guest

Thanks for the info. When I say 10+ I mean something that will last long even with some abuse. Our current couches, although not some fancy brand (I think) have taken an absolute beating over 12 years and don't feel old or worn out at all. We just don't like the way they look. The rest of most of our wooden furniture we hope to pass on to the next generation. I don't know if that is something realistic for sofas since they are not quite as timeless as say a wooden table or a bookshelf.
    What are you thoughts on the other trendy stores - West Elm, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, CB2, Design Within Reach and how bad is Restoration Hardware?
    What would you consider a real furniture store in Manhattan/NYC (willing to drive out to NJ etc. if we feel its worth it) ?
    Is there a particular model you could recommend in either of those brands (B&Y or H&M) given what I mentioned above?

needstuff Guest

Some furniture stores in Manhattan include:
    Poltrona Frau,Ligne Roset,George Smith, Baker, Roche Bobois,
    Stickley Audi, Safavieh, Scully & Scully,
    Design Within Reach, Jensen & Lewis
    Bloomingdale's, ABC Carpet & Home, Macy's
    Raymour & Flannigan (? never been in one)

Manny Guest

I checked out RH and thought everything looked gaudy and tasteless. I did like the Maxwell though.
    I also checked out a Bradington Young sofa (http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...E&style=135-96) and thought it was very comfortable and liked the look. What are yours thoughts on this? Will it last, hold shape, etc.?
    I also like one at ABC (http://www.abchome.com/store/store/p...-412p25583.htm) but have not tried it out.
    Any thoughts on Stickley and Audi furniture? Like this: http://www.interiors-furniture.com/S...setCrumbs=true
    Can you recommend anything else I should look at that looks similar to the sofas above?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    10 years is not a long time for a quality built piece, raise your standards and expect 20!

You should easily be able to get a decent grouping for $ 6K.

Most pieces built in the USA can deliver in 6 to 8 weeks or so.

You're shopping trendy stores, try a real furniture store instead. Definitely avoid Pottery Barn and Room and Board, as well as IKEA. Restoration Hardware quality is decent, but you can still do better at a real furniture store IMHO. IF you were at my store I'd be showing you Bradington Young or a few on the Hancock & Moore frames in the Town and Country collection (the later will push your budget a bit, but not too badly). Good luck

needstuff Guest

It's possible that the people who might otherwise have some valuable input for you may have difficulty advising you about other choices "similar to the sofas above". Because "the sofas above" are different from each other. They vary in significant ways: length, depth, seat height, style, arm height & style, etc.

I am not one of those people who might have valuable input. Other than this: If you decide what parameters/style/dimensions you are looking for, the manufacturers have websites where one can find the various sofas they offer, and their dimensions.

Which is not to say you will necessarily find the particular sofas you identify that way in any local store.
    If you want to see and feel it before buying one, you might as well skip the research step, or the nominations from others here, and just go to the stores to see what they actually carry. Because, chances are, whatever someone from afar nominates, those local shops won't happen to have. At least that's how it worked out for me.

If it were me, if I'd already found one I liked, by a maker who had had already been identified as a quality manufacturer given my budget, I might be tempted to stop there.
    Last edited by needstuff; 09-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.

B-Y holds up well.
    You can never go wrong with Stickley as far as quality goes.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.