Thread: New kitchen table

Judyg951 Guest

Default New kitchen table

I would love some recommendations on where to look for a nicer table to go in my kitchen. I'm not looking for the Formica topped table and vinal chair variety, but something nice. The only place I can come up with is pottery barn.

Default Re: New kitchen table

Quote Originally Posted by Judyg951 View Post
    I would love some recommendations on where to look for a nicer table to go in my kitchen. I'm not looking for the Formica topped table and vinal chair variety, but something nice. The only place I can come up with is pottery barn.
    ACCKKKKK!!!!! Just say 'NO' to Pottery Barn, Judy. Read this article and I think you will see why - this is why I started this forum in the first place to convey good information on quality, etc. This is what you get when you go to the trendy furniture stores:

http://www.iconceptsllc.com/potterybarnUNSTUFFED.html

Of course, the tables I have available through my store are made of real wood, solid as a rock, and made in the USA. Just sayin'......
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Tell me more about the tables you have please Duane. I'm interested and the first thing my husband said was to ask you!

I am still looking for end tables to go along with my donavan sofa and chairs too. Have not found anything so far.
    Last edited by Judyg951; 09-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.

I use J.L.Treharn for 90 % of my table sales because they are good at what they do, and their prices are reasonable for the quality of table they produce.

www.jltreharn.com.

These are made in Ohio, and its a family business. Woods are solid, no veneers - no junk fillers. The majority of their tables have mortise and tenon construction as well as wide-board builds on them, too. They have two collections, their 'Traditional' one and their 'Today" one. The Traditional one is Old School, and those have been in the line for years. The 'Today" line has a more Transitional flair to it is a little more price-friendly. They use aniline dyes on all their finishes, highlighting the premium woods they use in construction. An aniline dye makes for a much more brilliant finish, but just like aniline leathers, it will fade if left in direct sunlight so you have to watch that on kitchen tables. The only downside to a Treharn table is they don't box, every piece they do has to be blanket-wrapped and so shipping can be a challenge, not so much getting it to a particular place but to do so at a tolerable price point.

I have a Treharn table in my house that we use every single day and it was one of my first 'grown-up' purchases we made when we bought our first house in 1986. Its now 27 years old and not a wiggle or touch of deterioration in it. Here's what it looks like today (my wife would not approve of me taking this photo without the table being polished - don't tell her) not bad for raising two kids on and being the homework/project/dining table all those years. You can even see the hand-planed top on it from this angle on the tiger maple top. Base is black painted. We normally have a Turkish Carpet under it, so you can see the sun fade shadows on the hardwood floor around it but we had to take the carpet up until our Cairn Terrier puppy outgrows the chewing stage as its too nice a carpet for her to destroy. This table is so tough, and so strong that I have been know to stand on it to hang the chandelier above it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	5698
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

We have Nichols and Stone, which is pretty nice.... They are owned by Stickley..