Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Advice

Ci2Eye Guest

Default Re: Seeking Advice

The credit card company said I could still do a charge back BUT I needed to refer to the terms on the purchase contract I signed that will govern the options they will have to assist me.

I have also now talked to the rep from Hickory White. He was very pleasant but said he didn't have a remedy to offer because the piece is supposed to be distressed. He said the salesperson at the store should have provided me with information about the "characteristics" of the piece. She didn't. I told him I felt his industry was doing business on the Internet but wasn't really set up for that. The Hickory White website offers two pictures of the piece I purchased and no reference to "distressed" or "heavily distressed" so how was I to know that what I would receive would have a sizable dent in the top that would be considered normal.

The rep said he would talk to the store tomorrow and he'd like to find a solution to make me happy but any resolution would be more the responsibility of the store to work out than from himself but he'd see if they can come up with anything. He didn't know if the top screws on or not.

I can understand everyone's situation here; I feel as if what I received wasn't what was pictured and I bought a fairly expensive piece of furniture that looks damaged to me.

The manufacturer feels that I ordered a piece of furniture that is purposefully distressed and they make it that way because there is a demand for products that have an antiqued and time-worn look and it isn't their fault that I bought something and didn't understand that. They provide their dealers with thick manuals that outline the details of each piece.

The dealer feels that they sold me exactly what I asked for and they don't control or decide how it is made and it is my responsibility to know what I am ordering. They can't possibly know everything about every piece nor can they take back everything somebody doesn't like. This furniture store sells many lines with vast offerings including Hancock and Moore and Jessica Charles.

On the other hand, the manufacturer should have better info on their website, the store should have opened the catalog that outlines the specific characteristics of the piece and disclosed to me what to expect before accepting my order. A little more diligence on their part on the front end would've eliminated this issue because if they'd said the word "distressed", I would've passed.

Duane and this website do an excellent job of informing the consumer. Before I ordered a Hancock and Moore chair and ottoman from him, I was very aware of what to expect. I knew where my chair would be made, where the leather came from and what the pluses and minuses of that hide were plus tons more things I won't outline but when making other furniture purchases, the consumer is flying blind and given little to go on and then expected to accept the product as delivered.

I hope there is a remedy. I am willing to perhaps share in the cost of a solution so no one losses too much. We'll see what happens.

Here's the table: http://www.hickorywhite.com/catalog_...8&model=173-20

Y'all can tell me if I should have expected a 1 inch wide by 5 inch long depression in the table's top.

That's a very small table, it looks like its a size that can even be UPS shipped. I'm amazed they are putting up this much resistance on a replacement. It also looks to be an import, so they may not have any spare tops around or the capability to make one.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ci2Eye Guest

It is supposed to be Made in USA and I think it is because I was able to select from 20 or so finishes. The finish I selected is a dark stain called Maison.

Part of my frustration is there are plenty of imports I could have bought for a fraction of the price but I very deliberately chose this one because I was trying to support American industry. If it was a cheap import, I'd just donate it to charity and try again but for the price of this small table, I could have gotten a bonded leather sofa, loveseat, and two end tables with money left over from one of the big furniture chain stores.

Ci2Eye Guest

The store e-mailed me today and said now that I have talked to Hickory White and they have explained the table is "correct" and nothing else can be done, they have asked the delivery company to return the table to me.

Apparently the statement from the Hickory White rep that they'd talk to the store and would try to find a satisfactory resolution was meaningless so I am back where I started:

The store essentially blames Hickory White and claims unless they are willing to help, nothing can be done.

Hickory White blames the store and says they should have told me the piece would be heavily distressed and any resolution would be up to them.

The store has my money, Hickory White has their money, and I have nothing and no options at this point.

bubbaonline Guest

Credit card chargeback.. It doesn't matter that you've paid the bill, already..