Back in May, I ordered a small Hickory White side table from a pretty well known furniture store that has an online presence.

I selected the table based on photographs shown on the Hickory White website. In early July, the table was delivered. It had a dent in the table top that was about 1-1/2 inches wide by 5 inches in length so I refused acceptance of the table. Since that time the store indicates that they've had several conversations with Hickory White and they refuse to correct the problem and call it distressing. However, the picture of the table on their website shows a perfectly smooth table top with no dents at all. Their description of the product makes no reference to the item being distressed in any way and certainly not heavily distressed to include a sizable dent.

The store has agreed to set up a call for me with Hickory White but has advised me to not expect them to change their position. The table is a pedestal style so I would like for them to replace the top and given that it was about three to four times more expensive than similar products and not as depicted in their photographs, I think that is a reasonable expectation. The table was made in the United States so such a repair should be possible.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice for how I should approach the conversation with the Hickory White representative?