Thread: Are Yuan Tai bedroom sets quality or junk?

abradic Guest

Default Are Yuan Tai bedroom sets quality or junk?

I have been searching for a bedroom set and what I have found is that it's really hard to find much info on the manufacturers. What I have determined is Pulaski, Liberty, and Samuel Lawrence seem to have some decent bedroom sets. I have seen a set from Yuan Tai that is a beautiful set, but it wasn't in a store display. I was wondering if anyone had any info about them, and whether or not they are a good and solid maker. It sounds Chinese, but then I am sure China is capable of making a quality product as well as junk. My Apple macbook and iPhone are Chinese made but still good quality, but I don't know anything about Yuan Tai. Hopefully someone has some tips on whether or not to keep Yuan Tai on my list. Here is a link to the set I found...is this a good set that can last 20 or 30 years+?

http://www.dazfurniture.com/yuantai-...-fr5807dr.html

http://www.furniturequeen.com/servle...oom-set/Detail

abradic Guest

Default Re: Are Yuan Tai bedroom sets quality or junk?

Quote Originally Posted by abradic View Post
    I have been searching for a bedroom set and what I have found is that it's really hard to find much info on the manufacturers. What I have determined is Pulaski, Liberty, and Samuel Lawrence seem to have some decent bedroom sets. I have seen a set from Yuan Tai that is a beautiful set, but it wasn't in a store display. I was wondering if anyone had any info about them, and whether or not they are a good and solid maker. It sounds Chinese, but then I am sure China is capable of making a quality product as well as junk. My Apple macbook and iPhone are Chinese made but still good quality, but I don't know anything about Yuan Tai. Hopefully someone has some tips on whether or not to keep Yuan Tai on my list. Here is a link to the set I found...is this a good set that can last 20 or 30 years+?

http://www.dazfurniture.com/yuantai-...-fr5807dr.html

http://www.furniturequeen.com/servle...oom-set/Detail

Otherwise we saw this set in person and it seemed pretty solid. I liked that the drawers in the back were put together with interlocking pieces, it seemed solid on the drawer face, and the drawer sliders were on the sides instead of underneath and seemed solid. Even the drawer bottoms were decent. This set really caught our eye:

http://www.furniturecart.com/montice...furniture.html

It's impossible to determine structural build quality from exterior photos of pieces. One has to be able to pull drawers, see the back, look inside to see the way its put together and the materials used. At those price points, you are not going to get better quality wood and construction, the wood alone would cost more than that for the projects from the mill before it was even touched.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

abradic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    It's impossible to determine structural build quality from exterior photos of pieces. One has to be able to pull drawers, see the back, look inside to see the way its put together and the materials used. At those price points, you are not going to get better quality wood and construction, the wood alone would cost more than that for the projects from the mill before it was even touched.
    I realize it's impossible to say much from a photo, does anyone have experience with the Yuan Tai brand in person? I understand what you are saying and I have seen a few posts of yours, you definitely have TONS of knowledge and great advice. I wish I had the funds to truly get 100% solid wood construction with no solid veneers, but I would imagine that's $10k+ and I just don't have that kind of budget. My mom bought a set from the Samuel Lawrence line in 2006 and I am impressed with how well it holds up, still feels as solid as day one. Pretty much the same build quality as the set I saw in person up in my second post link, I'm thinking the build quality is at least a bit better than the Ashley/Harlem sets that are selling for $1200-$1500 with dressers, night stands, and chests included in that price. I had just never heard of Yuan Tai and no matter how I search for them on google, I can't really get any info. I'm probably better off staying with a known here.