Thread: Need Advice...

agdodge4x4 Guest

Default Need Advice...

We went furniture shopping recently for two sofas, two reclines, and two loveseats.....all of them having a 'recline' feature. We hit the regular stores and sat in a ton of furniture but settled on what we thought was a product that CLEARLY felt better built and better made than anything else in the store. What we ended up with was the Flexsteel Belmont and Grandview. The leather felt thicker, the microfiber felt better built and heavier, etc. Two complete sets. Now, after reading, I understand in this forum these are low end items. I see that H&M and B&Y are better...or rather, not even in the same league as far as much higher quality. But...if I were to get something like the mid line B&Y...one in a decent tan leather, and one in a decent microfiber....what could I expect to pay? Honestly, for two sofas and two recliners and two love seats, one set being in leather....We arent willing to dump more than about 7-8k in it. That money is better spent elsewhere in our opinion. Is that even possible for that quality of furniture, or am I pretty much limited to the lower ends? I have never purchased 'high end' furniture. The last 'nice' thing we bought was a Lane recliner 10 years ago, and while the leather and everything looks great still after daily use, it did develop a pop when you rock it, which to me, is not a big deal after 10 years of service. Thats just FYI so you know where I sit as a consumer and what I need.

Default Re: Need Advice...

I don't consider USA made Flexsteel to be a low end item (their Lattitudes collections that is made-in-China would be, however), it's more like solid middle mainstream. Are B-Y and H&M better made products? In my opinion they are - but they are also more costly (especially the H&M). You balance budget against value depending on what your comfort level is on spending. You're right where you want to be price-wise in Flexsteel. BY would run you into the 5 digits for that grouping and H&M close to $ 20K. Enjoy your new pieces and they'll give you good service duty, I'm sure.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

agdodge4x4 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I don't consider USA made Flexsteel to be a low end item (their Lattitudes collections that is made-in-China would be, however), it's more like solid middle mainstream. Are B-
    Y and H&M better made products? In my opinion they are - but they are also more costly (especially the H&M). You balance budget against value depending on what your comfort level is on spending. You're right where you want to be price-wise in Flexsteel. BY would run you into the 5 digits for that grouping and H&M close to $ 20K. Enjoy your new pieces and they'll give you good service duty, I'm sure.
    The pieces I am looking at ARE in the latitudes collection and the price I am looking at is 8k. You mean I can find USA made flexsteel for 8k and come home with two recliners, two love seats and two reclining sofas?

I personally would not own, or sell, Flexsteel Lattitudes. At one time I sold USA made Flexsteel and tried one order of Lattitudes at the insistence of my sales rep, and I was very disappointed by that product and returned as much of it as they would let me, then blew out the remaining stock at cost on my sales floor just to be rid of it. The USA-made Flexsteel is a better product. I've not priced out Flexsteel lately, but I would think that you can get those pieces near your target budget if you shop around based on what I knew of the pricing when I was a dealer. You may have to go up a bit and be around the $ 10K level, I just don't know for sure. By comparison, Bradington Young (which I sell) would be (in their Aniline Plus Married Cover which comes in two brown colors and is a pretty decent hide):

912-90 Dual Recliner Sofa: $ 2,609 each
    912-70 Dual Recliner Loveseat: $ 2,464 each
    912-35 Recliner Chair: $ 1,259 each

$ 12,664 plus delivery fees, but its a much higher build than anything from Flexsteel. I'm not one to buy mediocre quality, to my way of thinking I'd rather buy a known durable product that I know will go 25 years in good stead for $ 13K than one that has a poor reputation and may last 5 years for $ 8K. I know that budgets are a concern and that can put it out of reach for many as everyone's financial situation is different. If you can make the jump to better quality though, you will probably find it worthwhile over the long run. Don't over-extend your budget to where its not a comfortable buy though.....

This reminds me of a little conversation i had with a Sales Rep last week, he was asking whom my customers were - in terms of demographics. I told him that I rarely get the 20's and early 30's age groups because they tend to buy the cheaper product on the first go-round. I get them on the second go-round when they want value over price and try to balance cost vs longevity (30's to 40's) and then my Hancock and Moore customers tend to be in their 40's to 60's where they want the really nice product because the kids are grown and they realize the best made is usually the best overall value as well.
    Duane Collie

agdodge4x4 Guest

Thumbs up Re: Need Advice...

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I personally would not own, or sell, Flexsteel Lattitudes. At one time I sold USA made Flexsteel and tried one order of Lattitudes at the insistence of my sales rep, and I was very disappointed by that product and returned as much of it as they would let me, then blew out the remaining stock at cost on my sales floor just to be rid of it. The USA-made Flexsteel is a better product. I've not priced out Flexsteel lately, but I would think that you can get those pieces near your target budget if you shop around based on what I knew of the pricing when I was a dealer. You may have to go up a bit and be around the $ 10K level, I just don't know for sure. By comparison, Bradington Young (which I sell) would be (in their Aniline Plus Married Cover which comes in two brown colors and is a pretty decent hide):

912-90 Dual Recliner Sofa: $ 2,609 each
    912-70 Dual Recliner Loveseat: $ 2,464 each
    912-35 Recliner Chair: $ 1,259 each

$ 12,664 plus delivery fees, but its a much higher build than anything from Flexsteel. I'm not one to buy mediocre quality, to my way of thinking I'd rather buy a known durable product that I know will go 25 years in good stead for $ 13K than one that has a poor reputation and may last 5 years for $ 8K. I know that budgets are a concern and that can put it out of reach for many as everyone's financial situation is different. If you can make the jump to better quality though, you will probably find it worthwhile over the long run. Don't over-extend your budget to where its not a comfortable buy though.....

This reminds me of a little conversation i had with a Sales Rep last week, he was asking whom my customers were - in terms of demographics. I told him that I rarely get the 20's and early 30's age groups because they tend to buy the cheaper product on the first go-round. I get them on the second go-round when they want value over price and try to balance cost vs longevity (30's to 40's) and then my Hancock and Moore customers tend to be in their 40's to 60's where they want the really nice product because the kids are grown and they realize the best made is usually the best overall value as well.

HAHA....you pegged my demographic pretty much right on the money.

I am typically one to buy quality, but I still have to pick and choose what I am willing to skimp on. To me, a recliner than lasts 7-10 years is awesome....I'm also the kind of person that is happy getting rid of furniture in 10 years to replace with something else...just because I want something different. One thing that this site has done is open my eyes to the fact that what I thought was an excellent product is probably just 'OK' by comparison. Its also kind of disappointing that most furniture stores sell...well....lower end stuff, even their expensive stuff is still considered lower end. **Shrug** I honestly had no idea quality furniture costs so much, though it makes perfect sense. Ill shop around for a USA flexsteel, but Im afraid I might just have to keep what I bought (even though its not delivered)....that's mostly completely due to cost constraints. Im willing to dump a ton of money on A/V equipment, but not quite to the point I want to do that with furniture....yet. The sofa that is being replaced is 10 years old and was bought with end tables and coffee table for about 500 bucks....NEW. LOL...it would be nicer if the cast hadnt wrecked it!

Thanks for your insight and info, its greatly appreciated.

pnandip Guest

Duane,

I would like to know your opinion Seven Seas by Bradington-Young. Looks like its Chinese made but still Bradington and Young brand. Is it any where near the quality of USA made B-Y. Looks like even High quality manufacturer is taking this route of keeping two collection one USA made collection and another Chinese made. May be H&M will have two collections soon.

Appreciate your input...

hglaber Guest

The fact that The Keeping Room doesn't carry Seven Seas may be a hint.

And H&M does have a Chinese brand called Randal Allen. However, they seem to be careful to keep it separate from the main H&M brand, rather than using the reputation of the main brand to sell the value/import line like some other brands seem to do.

There are probably a dozen posts or more on Seven Seas by B-Y if you do a search for them here on the forum, my feelings on that series are well known. I avoid all Made-In-China upholstery. That's for other stores to sell, not for me!
    Duane Collie