Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value not an issue, what is it?

Bradhobbs Guest

Default Value not an issue, what is it?

Can you tell me a little about this piece maybe? I'm confused if its a hutch or if its a dresser. I also wonder about a time period, its important to understand where the piece came from. A Czech Slovakia family from Michigan moved here to KY in the 20's rather the piece came with them I have no clue but it hasn't left the house that it has set in for years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1374993_10201416985158864_1471643934_n.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	5766

Default Re: Value not an issue, what is it?

That would be a hutch, and its definitely European probably late 1800's build. Can't tell you much beyond that based on a single cell phone low-res photo.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bradhobbs Guest

Thanks for the reply Drcollie. The skeleton key is missing, and I'm afraid its a weird type of key since the hole doesn't appear to use a key with grooves its just a circle key hole. Thought that was strange about it, I'll have more pictures after I clean it up and move it in. It came from a fairly wealthy family back in the day. It is outright beautiful! The carvings are so beautiful.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

PLEASE SEE WWW.HARPGALLERY.COM CZECHOSLOVAK SIDEBOARD Please know that "cleaning up" will sometime destroy the value

Bradhobbs Guest

I didn't find a sideboard that looked similar to this one you may have to give me a direct link if you could please. Cleaning up as in rubbing the piece down in lemon oil to get rid of the dust.

Don't rub the piece in Lemon Oil, that just pushes dirt into the finish. Use a product call Briwax and apply with # 0000 Steel Wool, then buff off. Briwax works wonders on old, dirty furniture, but its toulene-based so its very nasty odors, and you have to wear latex gloves or it will stain your hands and fingers for a week. It has a high flash off rate so you have to work small areas are a time and then buff it off quickly (do not let it dry). A pain to use, but it does a wondeful job and gets it clean and polished to the original finish.
    Duane Collie

Bradhobbs Guest

Here is some more pictures, what type of wood do you think it could be?

Seems as though it use to be a mirror maybe but someone made a collage of cut outs.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

I suspect the piece is not as old at thought. Take out the drawers ,check the dovetails. Small number of dovetails, irregular joinery, scrapped wood,
    square head hand made nails are indications of age. This primitive appearing piece could have been made at home with whatever materials were available and not by a trained cabinet maker.

Bradhobbs Guest

The piece is at least from or before 1915. Yes it does look homemade a bit, the dovetail looks a little rough but is decent and mostly the same size. The key holes however are rough there is sharp pieces of metal like someone cut out holes in metal and made them. I've yet to get the piece in the house yet so pictures are a bit limited.

That's a Victorian era wallpaper used in the piece, no doubt a hand-blocked scrap from a larger project. By that, I'd say late 1800's. Build is a little on the crude side, but likely a step above home-made.
    Duane Collie