Thread: farm house

bginop Guest

Default farm house

I'm not sure where to begin as im brand new to all of this (we just bought a farm house which was built in 1980). I'll admit I really don'tknow what iI'm talking about or what I'm doing.

Now that I've got my disclaimer posted I'm ready to post some ignorance.

There are two major functional items my house that are missing: a closet to put your shoes/jackets and a pantry. Could anyone direct me in finding some quality furniture? I'd love a unique leather chair and couch too.

Yeah I know it's ignorant. So flame this all you like. Im just looking for quality and I don't know what that is any more as I feel I'm surrounded by crap: target, IKEA, Kirkland's, and some pieces at thomasville.

Oh I'm gene by the way and I'm knew go the forum.

Default Re: farm house

Best USA leather upholstery maker and highest quality: www.hancockandmoore.com

The other piece you are describing is an armoire. Here it depends on your style and budget, but a well-made one will run $ 5K or higher depending on size and woods used.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bginop Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Best USA leather upholstery maker and highest quality: www.hancockandmoore.com

The other piece you are describing is an armoire. Here it depends on your style and budget, but a well-made one will run $ 5K or higher depending on size and woods used.
    I've read a lot or your posts and you seem to maintain your store with a high level of quality. Could my wife and I work with you? I love a person who has principles.

Oh sure, I'm in business to sell furniture! Logistics can be challenging, really depends on where you live as to cost to get goods to you.

A little tip on the Armoire. The only difference between and armoire and an TV entertainment center (the old ones that held the 32" and 35" CRT tube TVs) are the holes in the back for the cords. There are literally thousands of those old TV Entertainment Centers out there that nobody wants and you can either get for free or a few bucks, and some of them are quite nice. The flat panel TV made them all landfill material. Search around for one of those and if you are near any major city they should be easy to find for virtually nothing as there is no market for them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bginop Guest

Oh sure, I'm in business to sell furniture! Logistics can be challenging, really depends on where you live as to cost to get goods to you.

A little tip on the Armoire. The only difference between and armoire and an TV entertainment center (the old ones that held the 32" and 35" CRT tube TVs) are the holes in the back for the cords. There are literally thousands of those old TV Entertainment Centers out there that nobody wants and you can either get for free or a few bucks, and some of them are quite nice. The flat panel TV made them all landfill material. Search around for one of those and if you are near any major city they should be easy to find for virtually nothing as there is no market for them.

Duane,

Thanks for the very handy tip. All your customer service makes me want to work with you but we do live in madison Wisconsin and perhaps the shipping would be killer?

bginop Guest

Duane,

I thought about your tip a little bit more and forgive me for obsessing but do you think an armoire would make for a good pantry? The only reason I ask, and please keep in mind I'm not challenging a man of your expertise, is due to the nature of our house the armoire will be the first thing you will see. So I kinda want a sexy piece. Also, I'm worried about the functionality as I'm not sure it would accommodate ssomeone who seriously cooks and bakes. Your feedback would be very appreciated.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

After flat panel TV, I converted a beautiful armoire to a linen closet by adding shelves and covering hole in back with luan. Shelves are available in all the do-it yourself stores, some will cut to your specs. I took another one and converted it with shelves to store holiday dishes. I have seen the in baby furniture stores white painted armoires with hanging rod in top section and and drawer on bottom half , just the right size for baby and toddler clothes. Like Duane said, most households just want them gone after the thin TV on the wall.

Riddle Guest

The modern entertainment centers are a waste of wood in my opinion, but plenty of people bought them.

I have two armoires from France. One is from the mid-1800s; the other is from the 1940s. The latter is shallower and shorter. I've used it for linens, china, and as a pantry at various times. The former is tall enough to make house-hunting interesting. Strictly speaking, it's a bibliotheque. Since there is glass in the doors, I've always used the exposed part for crystal and display. Old armoires are very versatile storage. I'll take an antique armoire and a good butcher block table over modern fitted kitchen cabinets any day. I'm a fairly serious cook - as in "makes her own mayonnaise and demi-glace" serious.

The great thing about a smaller antique armoire is that it can go in almost any room. Neither of my armoires was terribly expensive because they are far from perfect. They are still more interesting and durable than most of what is available for a lot more money.