Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leather Furniture and what you can - and cannot expect

Default Re: Leather Furniture and what you can - and cannot expect

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's a nasty sofa....lots and lots of soiling and never cleaned. That one is ready for the landfill.
    That's not also oxidation of the leather, similar to how Louis Vuitton's leather will darken over time? Lol yep, that's one ugly couch! Those light leathers look great in cars...NOT so much in a house!

Ugh, & that's a prime example of that 80s "Italian leather" sofa look: PASS!!

Jenny Guest

Yay. Good to know. I was wondering if it was dirty, or if the leather changed color, but now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Yay. Good to know. I was wondering if it was dirty, or if the leather changed color, but now I know.
    Jenny,

I think it's a little bit of both. Oxidation AND neglect. Just put that nasty thing outta its misery already!! Lol

I'd be really interested in seeing who'd actually buy that sofa! The cost to reupholster it, in leather, would prob run close to the cost of a brand-new, low to mid-end leather sofa. Haha...oh well, it's not MY good money somebody's throwing after bad!!

I’m feeling the same way. There seems to be a middle ground. The leather on the reclining sofa and recliner I’m purchasing seems to be the best of both worlds. A Grade 3 (in the middle) full grain aniline plus. (semi-aniline isn’t even the correct term, since it’s dyed just as full aniline,) however afterward there’s a light protective coating to make it a bit more durable for heavy use and to protect somewhat against spills and body oils, surfaces scratches, etc.
    Duane, this is what I’m referring to:

ANILINE PLUS LEATHER — Leather that has been aniline dyed and finished with a clear topcoat to ensure more protection against spills and stains.

Quote Originally Posted by Studdabaker View Post
    Hello Duane,
    Last week I had sent you a PM requesting a price qute for some B&Y sofas/loveseats. I had thought I wanted an "Unprotected" leather but I am confused with the characteristics associated with the terms "Protected" and "Unprotected" in your original post. I thought I had wanted an "unprotected" leather, however when I felt an "Unprotected" leather, I could make marks very easily with a light scratch of my finger nail (I understand it can be rubbed out) and it is also much more elastic than i expected which will lead to that sagging look i do not enjoy. However, when I handled Julian Harbor Elmotique 9085-89 leather it had a protective coating yet states that it is an aniline dye and had all the characteristics that I wanted such as buttery soft, less elasticity and not easly scratched. It seems to me that there is a lot of "grey" rather than a clear definition of protected/unprotected leathers whether they are aniline dyed or not? I went on the H&M website and choose a couple of Sofas for a price quote in lieu of the February sale but they have all their leathers categorized by "protected" and "Unprotected" so I am at a standstill because I want aniline dye and some protection but not sure which leathers to request a sample for.

Thanks so much for this forum!

Sorry, but you are using terms that don’t exist in the industry.

Any time you finish a dyed base hide with a paint color coat on top of the hide it is classed as a semi-aniline and is much closer to a finished leather than a pure aniline. It is not a clear coat, it’s been sanded and has a color coat. Where you see a heavy use of semi-anilines is is premium car leather interiors where they sell an upgraded leather package and they call it “ natural” leather which confuses a lot of buyers. You can’t use pure aniline in vehicle interiors, the Sun and staining eat them up. A semi-aniline is a little softer, generally, so it can stand up to sun and spills in a vehicle, because it’s still a painted leather when all is said and done. So yes, it’s better for hard use but it will never have the buttery softness or natural grain patterns of a pure aniline because it’s been sanded, embossed and painted.

To give you an easier to understand analogy, let’s equate the leathers to beef you buy at the grocery store.

Finished leathers are hamburger. Regular ground beef that’s commonly available, a grocery store staple and made of all beef cuts in the meat case with frozen bull fat strips added to the grind for higher fat content and flavor.

Semi-Anilines are Ground Sirloin. No bull fat added, all parts of steaks cuts close to going out of date including fats ground up. Not as fatty as regular ground beef. Slightly better flavor and texture.

Pure Anilines are steaks. The best are New York Strips, or even a few Wagyu for those wanting the best of the best.

There is a big jump from beef grinds to steak is the point. The ground beef and the ground sirloin are much closer together than moving to steak.

(I used to be in the grocery business and worked in the meat dept for three months as required to become a store manager)
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-07-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you, Duane. I understand and I knew what you were saying before you wrote it. I also love the look of pure aniline and the natural patina. And later for our front room we very well may go with that. But, for our family room we’re willing to give up some of that “natural aging” process in favor of a little more protection long term. No, we aren’t purists, although that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate pure aniline leather. So, there are some of us who will compromise in order to feel more secure about the worry of staining and no sun protection. I feel at least I’m starting with full grain leather that has been dipped in dye to begin with. The coating just gives me peace of mind, whereas it might cause others to shudder. Thanks once again for your knowledge! It’s much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Sorry, but you are using terms that don’t exist in the industry.

Any time you finish a dyed base hide with a paint color coat on top of the hide it is classed as a semi-aniline and is much closer to a finished leather than a pure aniline. It is not a clear coat, it’s been sanded and has a color coat. Where you see a heavy use of semi-anilines is is premium car leather interiors where they sell an upgraded leather package and they call it “ natural” leather which confuses a lot of buyers. You can’t use pure aniline in vehicle interiors, the Sun and staining eat them up. A semi-aniline is a little softer, generally, so it can stand up to sun and spills in a vehicle, because it’s still a painted leather when all is said and done. So yes, it’s better for hard use but it will never have the buttery softness or natural grain patterns of a pure aniline because it’s been sanded, embossed and painted.

To give you an easier to understand analogy, let’s equate the leathers to beef you buy at the grocery store.

Finished leathers are hamburger. Regular ground beef that’s commonly available, a grocery store staple and made of all beef cuts in the meat case with frozen bull fat strips added to the grind for higher fat content and flavor.

Semi-Anilines are Ground Sirloin. No bull fat added, all parts of steaks cuts close to going out of date including fats ground up. Not as fatty as regular ground beef. Slightly better flavor and texture.

Pure Anilines are steaks. The best are New York Strips, or even a few Wagyu for those wanting the best of the best.

There is a big jump from beef grinds to steak is the point. The ground beef and the ground sirloin are much closer together than moving to steak.

(I used to be in the grocery business and worked in the meat dept for three months as required to become a store manager)

This is awesome information about leather! I know some things about leather but wasn't aware of how much there is to know about leather. I'm not a big fan of leather recliners or furniture but having more knowledge is certainly beneficial down the road!

What product do you recommend for wear on the leather? We have two Smith Brothers recliners, and one has wear on the ends of the arms. Thank you.

Hi Margie,

You might find this thread helpful! Talks all about leather care and recommended products: https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...t=leather+care