Thread: 1st timer here needs some general guidance

wyen78 Guest

Default 1st timer here needs some general guidance

Hi,

I was looking up furniture maker rankings when I stumbled upon this site and found it to be quite informative. I'm 5ft 7in, 170lbs, 35 yrs old, and have chronic upper back, shoulder, neck pain from working at a lab bench. I just bought my first house, no kids, no pets, I live alone and will probably have a renter.

I want something that's supportive, comfortable, and will last quite some time. My main issue with most sofas are that the backs are too low and give no head and neck support, also a lot of couches are too deep for me so I can't sit properly and end up slouching a lot. Reclining sofas are really the only ones i've found comfortable for my back....but, they don't last as long, I've had a flexsteel from my parents that is over 20 years old and I have used the reclining feature like 3 times in my life, they aren't warrantied as well as stationary, and it's more expensive.

Also I am looking to get fabric instead of leather. I like leather but if I can't get good leather that will last, I'd rather have fabric instead of shoddy leather. I get the impression that it's easier to screw up leather so if you can't get the good stuff it'd be more economical to get fabric.

I'm looking to spend in the 3k range. And I tend to be very easy on my belongings....flexsteel sectional 20+ years, I've had a kmart 80 dollar dining table for over 13 years, I had a 13 inch tv that I remember playing atari 2600 on and it still works, the drawers and bookshelf I currently use in my room....I can't remember a time I didn't have them, honestly I was in grade school when my parents bought that stuff, and it's all mdf and glue.

So basically in a nutshell:
    ergonomics is very important to me
    need a higher back (good neck, shoulder support)
    need a straighter back
    need a shorter depth
    would prefer stationary but will pay for the recliner if it's all that I find comfy
    around 3k price point
    would prefer fabric if I can't get quality leather that will last, at this price

First time furniture shopping, so some ideas of brands and models to check out would be really helpful. I would only purchase if I get a chance to try the chair. I live in philly pa.

Sorry for long post,
    thanks
    Will

wyen78 Guest

Default Re: 1st timer here needs some general guidance

I like the look of Fjords by Hjellegjerde. (has the modern look with some highback pieces) anyone have any comments about the durability and construction?

I saw this posted previously here:
    http://curriersleather.com/manufacturers_rank.php

and I think drcollie had mentioned he'd put the H&M in it's own class. Knock down the Bradyington Young back a notch, move leathercraft into premium and knock ekornes back a notch as well. I've also looked at this list

http://www.leathershoppes.com/showro...m#.UnlhfSe9O25

which one do you think is more accurate? What about barcalounger? One place has it as fair, and the other has it much higher.

See if you can find one of these to try...I think it may be just what you are looking for and hit all your parameters:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1250
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Peaches Guest

I will just add that Duane's rec of the H&M Austin sofa is spot on! We purchased the Austin sofa and matching Ottoman and a half from Duane last spring and it is terrific. After having sat on a number of H&M sofas locally the minute my husband sat on the Austin he was in heaven and dozed off right on the showroom floor. He wouldn't settle for anything else. I called Duane the minute we got home and ordered it. The sofa back gives so much support plus comfort for both of us at 5'5" and 5'11". It sits beautifully. I hate sofas that are too deep and to support your back and neck/head you are having to lean back. Those problems vanish with the Austin. Another hint- you've come to the right place for help. Duane Collie is a genius when it comes to furniture and will help you any way he possibly can.