Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Sofa and Loveseat

lpj88 Guest

Default Advice for Sofa and Loveseat

Hello!

I have been searching for a new sofa and loveseat for the past 2 months, and this forum has been extremely helpful in understanding my options, and for asking good questions to sales reps when I shop. That being said, I am finding it difficult to find pieces that I can actually see in person.

My priorities are:
    - Stay around 5-6K for the sofa/loveseat combo
    - Comfortable, lounging sofa
    - Motion would be good, but an ottoman would work as well
    - Made in the US

I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'3" and we are looking for something that is comfortable for both of us, and something that we can relax in.

I have been looking closely at the BY Reid (912-90), the BY Yorba (508-95), and the CARRADO (780-95). The HM Kodiak, Austin High Back, and Journey also appeal to me, but I believe that these will be out of my price range.

And some of my questions:

1. I have only been able to find and sit on the BY Reid reclining chair. Would that be representative of how the Reid sofa and love seat sit?

2. Is there anything made by BY that approximates the HM Kodiak in terms of comfort and style?

3. As I said, I am having a really hard time finding any of these models in stores. How many folks by sofas sight unseen?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Last edited by lpj88; 11-02-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Default Re: Advice for Sofa and Loveseat

Yes, the 912 chair sits identical to the larger sofa and/or loveseat.

No, the Kodiak sits better than most pieces (to me). However it is definitely too large for your wife at 5' 3". You would like something better with a seat height around 20" or less like a City or Member sofa.

A lot of people buy pieces sight unseen..probably 70%. For example, H&M has 1,400 frames and I have 40 in my store. That's not even 3% of the total line and I have a huge inventory of their product compared to most stores. Even at Market Showroom they only show about 220 of their frames. The good news is only a handful of H&M pieces sit poorly, I'd say less than 5%. So you have pretty good odds of ordering without trying. By comparison, I'd say 30% of the B-Y Frames don't sit well (for me).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hydraulicllama Guest

Dear lpj88, i am curious, I am 5'3" like your wife and am considering the BY Reid 912 series sight unseen. You said you sat in the 912 recliner, did your wife sit in it and what did she think?

lpj88 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulicllama View Post
    Dear lpj88, i am curious, I am 5'3" like your wife and am considering the BY Reid 912 series sight unseen. You said you sat in the 912 recliner, did your wife sit in it and what did she think?
    Ah! I know how frustrating it can be not to find the specific item you are looking for. Thank you Duane for explaining the math behind how it would be impossible for dealers to have everything in stock. That is a great deal of models to be knowledgeable about! I've inquired every BY and HM dealer in a radius of 300 miles, and most have 3/4 models on the floor, if any at all.

My wife really thought that the Reid chair was comfortable. I also found it very comfortable. The bustle back provides nice back support, and you can adjust the top pillow slightly if needed. The only thing that worries me is the seat depth at 19.5 inches. Sometimes we nap on our sofas, and I'm not sure if there would be enough room. Ironically, she thought that the BY # 3076 (Henley) was the most comfortable chair in the showroom. But, they only make this style in a recliner.

Duane, now that you mention it the HM City does look really nice! I'm not sure I could spare the time for a trip to DC though to take advantage of the T&C deal......however it would be a great trip!
    Last edited by lpj88; 11-03-2013 at 02:16 AM.

All bustle backs will compress with use over time, so I'd not be overly concerned on that 912 at 19.5". That's measured new and as soon as you sit in it - it will go to 20.5" and withing a year of use be at 21" to 23".
    Duane Collie

lpj88 Guest

That's good to know about the bustle backs. I've researched through the forum and I can see that you really like the 912, and even compare it to the Austin Highback in some ways.

Correct. I think the 912 series is the best motion Sofa that Bradington Young has come out with in the past 20 years. I would buy it over an H&M Austin Motion unit because the price is considerably less and I don't see any marked advantage that the H&M unit has over it.
    Duane Collie

maot1226 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Correct. I think the 912 series is the best motion Sofa that Bradington Young has come out with in the past 20 years. I would buy it over an H&M Austin Motion unit because the price is considerably less and I don't see any marked advantage that the H&M unit has over it.
    Hi, drcollie, do you have any experience with the Smith Brothers 412 series? and second. I saw some HM sofas with special pricing because of the leathers. Does it mean that these leathers are of inferior quality? Thank you for your help.

I do not, sorry. Smith Bros. does not show at the High Point Market and the closest dealer to me is 90 min away, so I've not seen their line.

On the H&M , you are looking at Married Covers. For more on that, go to LEATHER > A PRIMER IN LEATHER her on the forum.
    Duane Collie

maot1226 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I do not, sorry. Smith Bros. does not show at the High Point Market and the closest dealer to me is 90 min away, so I've not seen their line.

On the H&M , you are looking at Married Covers. For more on that, go to LEATHER > A PRIMER IN LEATHER her on the forum.
    Thank you very much for your help.