Thread: Ball Point Pen Ink on Leather!!

BevoGal Guest

Angry Ball Point Pen Ink on Leather!!

My worst thought has come true -- a church group gathered at my house last night and someone left a pen near the sofa (and I did not know this). My toddler just scribbled on the seat tonight!! I have Weston Sand leather on a Sundance Sectional. Seriously panicked and came to the forum immediately. I cannot find the posts that I know I've read regarding ink on the leather. Either the search function is not working with me, or I'm missing it somewhere. What do I do?? Good grief.

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: Ball Point Pen Ink on Leather!!

Is it okay to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab (as recommended on other sites)?

BevoGal Guest

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...m-H-amp-M-sofa

Found this. I have a leather cleaning kit. Wondering if the answer lies in that bottle?

Riddle Guest

Don't use anything other than the cleaner H&M and Duane recommend. I'm fairly sure that they sell an ink remover, but I've never used it. I know that it's hard to leave it alone but I'd wait until Duane responds. Mixing chemicals can make the original problem a lot worse.

Don't panic!

You need the Leather Magic ink remover and nothing else. Using the wrong chemical will smear the ink and set it, so be patient and lets get you the right product. Some of the Leather Magic kits have the Ink Remover in them, if you don't have that in you kit you can order some from me and I can ship it out. More importantly is how you use it once it arrives. You have to go slow and be VERY CAREFUL or it will pull the color pigment out of the hide.

1) Get a fine line artist's brush, the one that comes in the Ink Removal bottle is too coarse and too large - not precise enough.

2) Using that fine line brush, apply the ink remover to the areas on the leather trying not to get onto the non-marked leather as much as possible. Keep it on the ink. Similar as if you were pin-striping something.

3) Let the remover dissolve the ink, it takes about a minute.

4) The most important step is next. You must BLOT the ink remover and residue up with a clean cotton rag. Do not rub. I repeat, DO NOT RUB, because that will swirl the remover and you'll wind up with color loss on the hide the size of a Nickel. Blot only, up and down - no side to side movement.

5) You may have to repeat the above steps, its slow and steady work, but highly successful if you are patient and go easy. I almost never get it off in one application but usually two, or sometimes three.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Thanks, all. My Leather Magic kit does not contain the ink remover, so I will need to get some. However, I'm very worried I will rub and mess this up! Is the option to mail in the seat cover still available (see previous thread linked above)?

You certainly can do that. I'd send it to Leather Magic in NC (you can call them off their website) - they'll return it good as new.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You certainly can do that. I'd send it to Leather Magic in NC (you can call them off their website) - they'll return it good as new.
    Thanks, Duane! I am so glad this is an option. Can't wait to get it taken care of too...it hurts when I walk past that spot =)

By the way, we are enjoying our new desk chairs. Will post pictures if I can ever get the paper piles off my desk!