Thread: Down vs standard cushions

chrism Guest

Default Down vs standard cushions

Are there any recommendations/ experience regarding H&M down cushions vs their standard cushions in a leather sofa. And does that recommendation vary depending on the leather?

We're really looking for a comfy, sink in feel, similar to Restoration Hardware Lancaster sofa. We're considering the Settlement sofa as well as Kodiak and City. Not sure if we want the extreme seat depth of the RH Lancaster/ H&M Settlement, so are considering Kodiak as an alternative to get us look and feel while still being able to sit and not only lounge on the sofa. Also we're targeting a Grade 2 leather- not sure which yet, but don't want Document or Cavalier.

While researching/ perusing the forum I thought I came across a post that said Dr Collie doesn't recommend down cushions with leather, but haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks to Dr Collie for this amazing forum and to all who post their questions and experience here. I feel like in just a few short days here I've learned so much!

Default Re: Down vs standard cushions

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

chrism Guest

Thanks so much

I have found this interesting. When we bought our Austin tilt back we went with the 21 oz cushions. TOO firm and felt as if we were sitting too high on the chair instead of in it. We ordered the standard cushion and have had it for a few years. It still doesn't have the comfort that the chair in the store had ( I assume it had the ultra down cushion) I am 5' 10" around 175# Since it is a single seat I'm not concerned about puddling. The seat backs are the standard fill and are fine. I still may buy the ultra down seat cushion.