Thread: Platform bed with drawers

cascade Guest

Default Platform bed with drawers

Trying to find the perfect bed for a new condo, and came across this on google image search:
    http://bedroomdesigncatalog.com/wp-c...sign-Ideas.jpg

Problem is, I can't find who makes it, or where I can buy it. I really like the look of this a lot, and I need something that has drawers underneath on the sides to make full use of the area underneath the bed. I am located in Austin TX, so if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find a bed like this (local or via the internet) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Cookie Guest

Default Re: Platform bed with drawers

It looks like those made by Environment Furniture:

http://www.environmentfurniture.com/.../category/beds

I stopped by their NYC show room a couple weeks ago. I am sorry to say that I was underwhelmed.

I can tell you why you were underwhelmed (most likely). That bed is a huge, massive material-eater and if made of "real' wood such as black cherry it would weight about 500 lb and cost about $ 10,000! Its an unusual design because it doesn't look stable - so I'm guessing that is veneer on the back. You really can't stack lumber like that straight up without some from of serious attachment structure on the back of the headboard. Its a bit crude actually and that's a real toe-stubber to boot with the base straight to the floor, you would hate that making the bed every day.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Cookie Guest

LOL. IMO, it looks much better in the pictures than in real life, as the pictures don't capture the details.

The massive beams they use for the footboard and headboard are not real beams. They use 4 boards to form a square "beam", and the joints are crude indeed.

It would have been a lot more impressive if they had actually used the traditional timber framing technique, or mortise and tenon, for the bed. But then it would be very heavy, like Duane said.

needstuff Guest

Ours was made by a firm no longer in business, in 1980. we've used it all that time, it's even gone through two moves. The mattress is original, and it still feels great. The bed has been creaking like mad for the last several years though, and we will eventually replace it.

When we do, we might get a bed made by Bedworks in Cambridge, Mass(Bedworks.net). I think the company that made ours basically copied their bed design from Bedworks, back then.
    Last edited by needstuff; 11-20-2013 at 01:04 AM.