Thread: On a budget. What would you do?

pashari Guest

Default On a budget. What would you do?

Hello all -

As much as I would like to go high-end with my furniture it just isn't possible right now. My husband and I just bought a vacation home in Northern Michigan and I have $13,000 to furnish it. I need to furnish a:

(1) living/dining area (27' x 17') - not so worried about the dining part as most meals will be outside on the patio. Would like at least a super comfy couch, love seat and perhaps a chair or two with one or two accent tables.

(2) a master bedroom (13.7' x 11.8') - just a bed and chest would be fine here.

(3) Kids bedroom (11.9' x 10.9') - I have a line on a local rustic log style bunk bed manufacturer. Need to put two bunk beds so that would be $2,000 for the beds. I only need one twin mattress as we have the other three. But still need a chest.

(4) Downstairs Family Room (23.3' x 11.5') - This is the room we would have the TV so I would need some type of unit for the TV. Would like a bookshelf unit to store games & books. As for seating, I would like just a couch but was thinking of making some huge bean bag type pillows to throw around (I'm somewhat handy with a needle & thread).

(5) Downstairs Guest Room (15' x 13.5') - Just a queen bed here is fine. To be honest, this is only if our budget can stretch for it otherwise its an air mattress for guests for the time being.

(6) Three Season Room (12' x 12') - This is off the master bedroom and I'd like to have this as a type of sitting room/reading room/sanctuary for myself. A comfortable couch and maybe an accent table. A place I can read and to some stichery.

So with my limited budget of $13,000 how would you spend it? I'd like the place to look somewhat like a home and not an empty house with just one or two pieces in it. What are my best options with a mid-line manufacturer.

Thanks for any input or insights.

Lisa

Default Re: On a budget. What would you do?

Hi Lisa,

I think your question is too broad to answer correctly - as so many variables are left out (style, size, use, etc). However, $ 13K won't go spread among all those rooms. Since it's a vacation home and you have a tight budget, I'd look at pre-owned pieces near your main house, buy them and store them until you go to the vakay home. Take your time and you can find some excellent pre-owned deals.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

Default Re: On a budget. What would you do?

Depending on where in northern MI it is, you might find a decent selection of "antique" stores nearby as well. These are, quite frankly, indoor consignment garage sales for the most part (assuming you aren't too close to the TC and lakeshore points north). That often means lower prices than a larger city consignment shop, for example. The classic "hand-me-downs moved to the cottage" look is very popular/appropriate/charming up north, especially for hard goods like tables, dressers, book cases, and headboards. That might leave you a little more for living room and three season room. In addition, finding these stores online and seeking them out gives you an excuse to drive around the new area which is always fun and results in interesting adventures and seeing new little towns even if you don't find a prize in every store.