Thread: In Praise of the Good DR... Collie!... and PLEASE HELP ME SELECT MY LR!

Mark Legere Guest

Post In Praise of the Good DR... Collie!... and PLEASE HELP ME SELECT MY LR!

I started searching for new LR furniture this week. It's a confusing landscape to be sure and one of the most confusing aspects is simply understanding the leather that can be on furniture.

After reading drcollies posts on leather, I've come to understand a lot about the business in a little time. He really cuts thru the weeds if you read his posts. I'm a Huge Fan!

True story...

I started looking this week and had my eye on Tommy Bahama based solely on looks. I quickly researched and found drcollie's thread about a high back austin chair being delivered with pics. I was hooked. The way the posters described the comfort made me drop all other product searches and focus on H&M Austin High Back. I was sold without even sitting in or seeing the chair in person. But there was a glitch... My lovely wife. We don't always agree on major purchases and furniture is probably where we are most polar opposites...

I KNEW that she wouldn't love the styling, so I found a dealer before I mentioned it to her. I also tried to soften the blow by getting pics with colors that worked better than the blue in the H&M site. I mentioned to her that I had found a set and the comfort was really highly touted on this forum. As expected, she looked at it on-line, and immediately discounted it based on looks. But, there was hope as she conceded that the chair and a half wasn't too objectionable, especially with the back turned to the entry way of the room (diss!)...

The showroom is near her mom's house and she was visiting her this morning and agreed to go to the showroom. When my wife did go to the showroom today her text read "Saw the sofa today and HOLY CRAP!".... I was sure this meant she hated the sofa... But, there was no further text so I texted her back, but no reply. So, I called her to get her objections... and it was a Thanksgiving MIRACLE! She LOVED IT. So, as of right now, we're almost positively getting the sofa and chair and a half with ottoman and a half.

NOW THE CHALLENGE: Given the sofa, a chair and a half, with ottoman and a half, can you please help us select the perfect Austin High Back configuration:

My profile is that I'm cost conscious, but I'm happy to spend money for quality. To me, that's where you really gain / or lose the value on any product. E.g. Spending 20% more on the leather that you want is well worth the investment over the life of the product.

Leather:

• What is the optimal leather for this sofa? I feel like your Capri Harness pics from this year's Journey Sofa make Capri, Unprotected the frontrunner, but is this the right leather for the Austin?
    • How much will Grade 4 add over a Grade 2 (which seems to be the default)?
    • With respect to Grade 4 leather, is this Full Grain or Top Grain? This may be the only thing I don't feel like I understand is how much this factors into the leather grade (or class). Everything I've read says to look for full grain, but it's seldom listed on pieces.
    • Is Full Grain truly superior to Top Grain? If so, by how much?
    • What about a grade 5? There is really no quality difference between grades?

Core:

• What are the options?
    • What impact does this have on comfort?
    • What impact does this have on cost?

Nails:

• Are there more subtle options?
    • I'd like to downplay them as much as possible, is that an option maybe for single row around the bottom?

Etc:

• I read your email on internet vs. brick and mortar, so would you PM with quote on the config?
    • Is there anything I'm missing?

I really do appreciate all the work you put in on this site. Your posts over the years have literally enabled me to condense WEEKS AND MONTHS of research and searching for the right product into a few days. I feel lucky to have happened upon your posts on H&M, esp. the Austin High Back.

Thanks,

MHL

Peaches Guest

Default Re: In Praise of the Good DR... Collie!... and PLEASE HELP ME SELECT MY LR!

I'm no expert, just one of Duane's happy customers. We purchased the Austin sofa and ottoman and a half (it is the perfect size ottoman for the Austin) in May in CAPRI HARNESS. Capri is full grain, simply gorgeous leather, soft as butter. Harness just happened to be the exact color we were looking for- a soft not too dark brown, not too red. A caramel color. We also purchased the Adirondack Rocker in the same leather. Austin couldn't be more comfortable, not my first choice in style until I sat on it, and Capri is the highest quality leather. Good luck, but to us it has been well worth the cost.

Default Re: In Praise of the Good DR... Collie!... and PLEASE HELP ME SELECT MY LR!

My head is going to swell, Mark....

I think it really comes down to budget when you make your selections. There are significant price variances on the hides that will affect the final price and you have to temper that into your family budget. For example, when I was in my 30's I would buy Married Cover as I had no money to spend. In my 40's I'd buy GR 1, maybe GR 2 as I had kids and college on the horizon. Now I'm in my late 50's one kid is graduated and I'm going to get what I want - GR 4. You have to buy in your financial comfort zone and temper that with the usable lifespan on a given piece which in H&M is typically 30 years or so. I fully understand and appreciate not wanting to spend too much...and on the other hand the only pieces I don't really like in my house are my leather ones I bought in my 30's because they have the cheap leathers on them and yet they won't die so we still use them.

If I were buying a 2038NB Austin for myself the leather would be Capri Harness without a doubt, "A" nail and Belgian Chocolate Finish. Extra firm Back cushions. Standard seat (not ultra down). # 8131 ottoman to match.

When in the H&M leathers, use about 15% every time you step up a grade in the hides. That's a good average.

All leather is split because its too thick otherwise. The upper half of the split is what will be used for the cover, so its called "TOP GRAIN". The lower part is called 'the Splits" and made into suedes or sometimes used on upholstery sides and backs, but it lacks the cellulose bond strength of the top grain is should not be used in stress areas as it won't hold up well. All the furniture I have in my store is Top Grain.

Full Top Grain simply means its an aniline hide with the original grain left intact. Top Grain is for Painted leathers (Finished, Protected, Pigmented) where the real grain has been sanded away to smooth the hide and then the grain pattern is embossed back into the leather during the finish process.

GR5 is mostly embossed and specialty leathers.

See under the LEATHER section for H&M cushion core options and core descriptions.

You can alter nails or leave them off altogether if you like. Or do funky patterns with them... your only limitation is your imagination.

Sorry, no written quotes on H&M. You can call the store for pricing. 703-360-6399.
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-28-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.