Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabric sofa vs Leather sofa

Default Fabric sofa vs Leather sofa

Ok.
    I have for the past couple of months been researching leather sectional sofas. I have finally come to the conclusion that I just cannot afford a leather sectional sofa in a decent brand.
    I am now forced to go to a fabric sectional, or look for a leather sofa, not sectional. I cannot believe the prices they want for leather sectionals. Just today, I was quoted $7000.00 for a Flexsteel domestic sectional with chaise. 7k! I find that highly ridiculous when I can get the same setup in Bradington Young for $7200.00. My question is...should I go with a fabric sectional, or just opt for the leather sofa with chaise. I have about 4-5k tax and shipping included to spend, and if I go with a leather sofa with chaise, I will also have to get a chair & ottoman. I prefer the oversize deep seating. Thanks for any help. I am acgtually tired of looking for furniture at these crazy prices.

fugunemo Guest

Default Re: Fabric sofa vs Leather sofa

Wow I am in the same boat! All the way down to wanting deep cushions.

- I have decided to give up on leather sectionals and have decided to go for a deep leather sofa. With T&C pricing, that is just half your budget in Hancock & Moore.
    - I am now looking for other ways to have additional seating. Easiest option of course is to have two sofas. You can get two H&M sofas for 5k at Town & Country pricing.
    - Also, why do you want leather? Are you sure you will be ok with fabric? I want leather for the low stainability. I'm thinking I will have one leather piece in the room mixed in with fabric pieces.

If you still want decent enough leather sectionals for less than 5k, you can look at Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Both have deep cushion leather sectionals for that price.

In fabric, I assume Taylor King is your best choice for quality sectionals.

lol, excuse my ignorance, but what is T&C pricing?

OMG, don't go to Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel for furniture. It's the worst. Take a read on it here.

http://www.iconceptsllc.com/potterybarnUNSTUFFED.html

As for what to buy...I am always kind of amused to read about how $ 7K is preposterous to spend on a leather sectional that will last you 30 years and yet it's perfectly acceptable to buy a $ 33,000 Honda Accord you'll keep for 10 years. Quality is never cheap.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

fugunemo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rugman1969 View Post
    lol, excuse my ignorance, but what is T&C pricing?
    Town & Country pricing. Promotional pricing by Hancock and Moore. You can search this forum for a detailed thread.

fugunemo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    OMG, don't go to Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel for furniture. It's the worst. Take a read on it here.

http://www.iconceptsllc.com/potterybarnUNSTUFFED.html
    Wow that is scary stuff! So glad I steered my wife away from Pottery Barn.

I wouldn't complain about spending 7k on a sofa if I had 7k to spend, but the fact remains that at least with a car, I can drive back and forth to work and earn an income, which would justify the money spent on a car. A sofa will be there so I have something other than the floor to sit on when I am home. It will not help me earn an income, which is why I find it preposterous to spend that much on a piece of furniture. I understand you have to pay for high quality, but based on research, flexsteel domestic is not high quality, which is why I feel 7k for a flexsteel sectional is way out of line for the quality. 7k for a B-Y, understandable. At least that is quality. As far as the honda, I would pay 32k for a accord, but not for a kia. I would also find 32k for a kia preposterous. I am just trying to find a decent piece of furniture for a fair and decent price.

Wow, no kidding. From reading in this forum, I knew to stear clear of those 2 companies for furniture, but I had no idea that they were that horrible.

ISUFan22 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

As for what to buy...I am always kind of amused to read about how $ 7K is preposterous to spend on a leather sectional that will last you 30 years and yet it's perfectly acceptable to buy a $ 33,000 Honda Accord you'll keep for 10 years. Quality is never cheap.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by fugunemo View Post
    Wow I am in the same boat! All the way down to wanting deep cushions.

- I have decided to give up on leather sectionals and have decided to go for a deep leather sofa. With T&C pricing, that is just half your budget in Hancock & Moore.
    - I am now looking for other ways to have additional seating. Easiest option of course is to have two sofas. You can get two H&M sofas for 5k at Town & Country pricing.
    - Also, why do you want leather? Are you sure you will be ok with fabric? I want leather for the low stainability. I'm thinking I will have one leather piece in the room mixed in with fabric pieces.

If you still want decent enough leather sectionals for less than 5k, you can look at Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Both have deep cushion leather sectionals for that price.

In fabric, I assume Taylor King is your best choice for quality sectionals.

Want leather mainly because I have 2 smaller dogs. Easier cleanup ifn case of accidents