Thread: Smith Brothers 413 vs 414 vs 8000

ISUFan22 Guest

Default Smith Brothers 413 vs 414 vs 8000

So we have narrowed our search to Smith Brothers after spending a bunch of time at our local furniture store. They have some Smith Brothers selection, but not a huge variety so we're going off photos and diagrams for some of it.

One of the items we like without seeing in person is the 413/414 reclining series. Considering a 413/414 LAF reclining chair, deluxe angled console and RAF reclining chair.

Questions:
    - significant differences between 413 and 414 other than "cosmetic" arm, legs, etc?
    - how padded is the reclining "leg"? photo on some (notably in 414) make it look somewhat padded but other photos make it appear rather firm

For the 8000 series, we're fans of the style/comfort and got to see some of those pieces. Like the RAF/LAF end wedge a bunch to finish off a sofa or loveseat.

Questions:
    - are there reclining options in this series? Didn't see it.
    - could a 413/414 recliner attach to a 8000 series loveseat?

Default Re: Smith Brothers 413 vs 414 vs 8000

These sound like questions best answered by your dealer. They should be able to support your decisions with knowledge of their products or at least get information from the manufacturer. The details you seek are probably only available from someone with intimate knowledge of the Smith Brothers product line, not likely on this forum.

ISUFan22 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post
    These sound like questions best answered by your dealer. They should be able to support your decisions with knowledge of their products or at least get information from the manufacturer. The details you seek are probably only available from someone with intimate knowledge of the Smith Brothers product line, not likely on this forum.
    I'm aware and am looking for people here that are Smith Brothers owners and have experience with their products.

Maximus Guest

I am with you ISFUFan22 and am wondering what the current owners ofmSmith Brothers of Berne furniture think of their furniture now that they have owned it for awhile. I am primarily inteterested in those that have fabric cloth upholstered recliners or tilt back chairs. I know there are at least a few posters here that have purchased it and hope they still read the forum. Looking at Bradington Young also.

ISUFan22 Guest

After spending a good amount of Friday/Saturday reviewing options we landed on their "high back" items. The 311 sofa and 532 tilt back chair. We saw more recliners yesterday and just didn't like the legs - so are giving the stationary with ottoman a shot.

We also got a 1309 chair and 1/2 with ottoman - wife has been wanting a chair and 1/2 for a while and she finally got one. It's not a "high back" but I know she/we will love it.

Leather on all items.

Maximus Guest

Thanks ISUFan22. What didn't you like about the legs on the recliners? I know some of the tilt back and recliners have front screw-in legs that also don't look like the built-in rear legs that I didn't like along with the idea of them being screwed in. I am kind of leaning toward tilt back chairs, 532 and 990, in fabric. I am in the preliminary stage and haven't been able to visit the retail store yet as it's over an hour away and am waiting for the certain models to be on the floor. You check out any in fabric? Wondering how comfortable they are vs leather?

ISUFan22 Guest

When I said legs, I meant the recliner leg rest, sorry if I was unclear. We didn't like the recliner leg rest as it was more firm and not as plush. Totally understand why, just not the style for reclining we like - so we went with stationary/ottoman - which I think we'll be thrilled with.

Did sit in some fabric items simply to get idea on the item - I think their fabric is great - we just prefer leather for comfort and longevity.

Maximus Guest

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Leather definitely the way to go, but I have to go fabric.