Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenging Layout

Shelia Guest

Default Re: Challenging Layout

drcollie:
    Thank you very, very much for the advice!! Yes, it is a very different floor plan indeed, so I really appreciate your thoughts.

To answer your question, the rough opening beside the front door will be a closet.

A couple questions for you:
    The table is quite large. I tried to put it the way you mentioned, but it leaves not enough room to walk between the one end of the table and the glass door and there's a tight squeeze between the other end and the small wall beside the kitchen.

I could move it over (away from the kitchen), but that looks a little odd. Or I could leave it the way it is in the photo, but that looks awkward too. Which do you think it the lesser of the evils?

As for the TV, there really isn't room for one by the laundry room door, but that's ok since there will not be a TV in this room at all. So that leaves me without focal point, I guess. (It's crazy, I know.) Should I turn the sectional around to include the piano ... or ... ??? I don't have a clue.
    Last edited by Shelia; 12-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Shelia Guest

brsett: Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, when I tried to put the table in front of the windows, it blocked access to the laundry room. (The table is large.) It also seemed awkwardly far away from the kitchen.

Just curious ... Just wondering what gives the impression the style is modern when there is nothing in the room? ... Except the table, which is a Stickley Craftsman table. Just wondering.

I do plan to put some nice rugs in ... just can't seem to figure out where to put the furniture.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelia View Post
    Just curious ... Just wondering what gives the impression the style is modern when there is nothing in the room? ... Except the table, which is a Stickley Craftsman table. Just wondering.
    The recessed lighting all over the room, the light colored hardwood, the sliding glass door, the half length glass in the door (actually indicates transitional to me), the lack of grilles in the window, the lack of crown molding, and the extremely open floor plan (not even any support pillars -- until the modern engineering age, this wasn't even possible).

You could go mission in the room, and make it work, I'm certain. But a florence sofa and a couple of weirdly textured rugs would easily make it go modern and minimal.

Otoh, I could be completely off base. I am often extremely wrong (see suggesting the table go in front of the window). But from a flow point of view, I hate places that put furniture in front of doors, and impede my ability to walk from place to place. It seems there is an obvious T connecting the front door, sliding door, and hallway. I'd try to emphasize that personnally. Duane, who knows far more about these things, disagrees with me.