Thread: USA Premium Leather Question

Jaywalker Guest

Default USA Premium Leather Question

At Louis Shanks today the salesman showed me a sofa made by "U.S.A Premium Leather" (hard to do a search on something called "U.S.A"...) from Utah. He showed me a breakdown box of USA internals and it looked good - 8-way hand-tied springs for support and encapsulated springs in the cushions. It had a solid wood frame, though I couldn't testify to it being "hardwood." The leather looked okay to my unsophisticated eye. The surprise was the price - $2000. It's made in Utah, and having lived there awhile, I can believe there are certain circumstances in which labor prices might be low.

Does anyone have any experience with this maker?

Default Re: USA Premium Leather Question

No.

However, I generally believe you get what you pay for (mattresses and sunglasses are exceptions). I'm sure it's better built than an $800 leather sofa, and doesn't have all the features of a $6000 leather sofa.

If you like it, buy it. My mother, who thinks I'm insane for buying an H&M, bought a sofa made in Hickory, NC from Leather and More, at about the 2K mark. They are way cheaper, and seem to be well made. Otoh, she was a little surprised by the color of leather she got versus the sample she looked at, and (like the company you posted about) they effectively only have one design with slight variations. The leather has darkened a bit, and looks better -- the design will always be too chunky for my tastes.

Default Re: USA Premium Leather Question

Shanks is a full mark up dealer, no bargains there. $ 2,000 for a sofa at their operation tells me its a cheapie. You can't make a sofa right - in leather - and sell it for that.

U.S.A. Premium Leather's website does not go into detail on construction in detail so there's no way to really evaluate via the web. Sorry!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.