Thread: Is Bradington and Young still dependably good quality? I need help!

crayolabarb Guest

Default Is Bradington and Young still dependably good quality? I need help!

Hello Duane,

I have been looking for living rm. furniture to replace mine (20+yrs old, upholstery finally torn by years of kids and pets) for months now and, while I know what look I want, leather, COMFY, durable, clean-able, rolled arms, 26" or higher backs, sofa and 2 recliners, I have become so confused by conflicting info. I have sat on several H&Ms and find the cushions very inconsistent even amongst the supposedly "same", std. cushion. I've read your deeply researched and clearly stated facts on the cushions Duane and I thank-you so much for your honesty and expertise. You are such a breath of fresh air in an industry filled with salespeople who don't know, don't care to know- just want our money. In my searching all over eastern and western MA I have found 2 salespeople who seem to have some knowledge.

I found the Bradington and Young sofas to be more consistently comfortable, liked the "Warner" sofa and "Schaumburg" recliner and then asked for a price from a dealer whom I believe is knowledgeable. She told me that they used to carry B&Y but that the last several pieces they have gotten in have been defective and so they do not carry B&Y anymore. Is this your experience as well Duane and others?

HAve you experience with Randall Allan? (I believe it's the Chinese made division of H&M?) I also liked a Smith Brothers but they are had to find info. about- reviews. In the summer I hoped to have my new furniture by Christmas and now here I am as lost as ever. I can use all the help I can get. Recommendations? Where to do to see the most possibilities in the NE?

Thanks so much.

crayolabarb Guest

Default Re: Is Bradington and Young still dependably good quality? I need help!

Gosh, no replies.

Default Re: Is Bradington and Young still dependably good quality? I need help!

Ahhhh...sometimes I don't catch every post! Especially when its busy like last week with the H&M Black Friday sale.

I have not had any issues with Bradington Young quality control in several years - in fact I think its currently better than its ever been.

Randall Allen is 100 % made in China, I don't carry it and never will. No Chinese-made products in The Keeping Room, there are 95 of 100 stores you can get that if you want. I don't like the quality of the stuff coming out of China and I don't care to support the economy of the Chinese because one day I think we as a nation will have to confront them militarily. To me, it doesn't matter who commissions the build - Hancock and Moore or otherwise.

A lot of people seem to like Smith Brothers, but its not in wide distribution.

As to what to buy, its pretty clear who the industry leaders are, but you have to temper that with you budget, too. Stay within your comfort zone on buying and it H&M is too costly, then B-Y will be about 25 % less and its solidly made. Smith Bros. should give you a good long term product as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.