Thread: Problem with Brownstone Furniture

NYC_Lover Guest

Default Problem with Brownstone Furniture

Hello, Duane and Everyone,
    I have followed you to this forum from the one-that-shall-not-be-named and lurked for a while, enjoying all the great info. I am now looking for help.

I purchased a Browstone bedroom set in the summer of 2007. It shortly developed a number of problems, particularly with the veneer popping up over spots where I would guess screws or nails are holding the piecese together. On the advice of mogator88, I sent pics to the retailer of the issues in the spring of 2008 and received replacement pieces in July of that year: a new headboard, a new footboard (because the original was cracking) and a new nightstand. Well, the veneer on the headboard is again popping up on top and the crotch veneer on the front of the headboard is looking wrinkled in one spot. In addition, the side of the drawer of both nightstands is cracking. I am so frustrated and disgusted, I just want new furniture, but I don't want to lose all the money I spent. I again took pictures and am planning to send them to the dealer. What are my chances of getting the pieces replaced?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you could provide.

That's a tough one, similar to the problems I've experienced myself with Brown Jordan outdoor furniture that I've purchased and is in a constant state of failure. Typically you can keep replacing the parts, and that's about the best you're going to be able to do as long as its under warranty. Doubtful your dealer can do much for you other than replacing those parts. You can go for the long shot and write the CEO of the company who makes Brownstone but that's about the limit. As long as they continue to replace pieces or parts under the warranty period they're servicing you as a customer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

NYC_Lover Guest

Duane,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I got the set almost two years ago and the replacements less than a year ago. I believe a warranty is only for a year. I wonder if the replacements came with a new warranty. I hope they'll be able to send me replacements again.

If this economy ever turns around, I really want to replace the entire set next year. I am so disappointed and disgusted with Brownstone. I've been looking at Crecent furniture - are you familiar with that manufacturer? It seems that their furniture is mostly solid wood.

Yes, the warranty should reset with the new pieces. I've had my Brown Jordan repaired every year for six years now, finally they've worn me down and I'm not going to bother with it any more, just toss it and buy new (not Brown Jordan, obviously).

Not familiar with Crescent - but my wood furniture is largely hand-crafted specialty items, so I don't know the players in production case goods very well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jarrodsmorton Guest

Crescent is a solid mahogany line out of Tennessee. It will be a little bit better quality than Brownstone but not a lot. Brownstone is similar to Kincaid. Crescent is solid, but you can't compare it to a Henkle Harris or Harden. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

NYC_Lover Guest

Jarrod,
    Upon reading your post, I e-mailed Cresent to find out where their furniture is manufactured. The answer: "90% in Vietnam, 8% in Indonesia." Beyond disappointing news! So Cresent is out.

Since my Brownstone furniture is relatively new, I don't feel right replacing it yet. I am still trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy the tall boy dresser that matches the set since I need more storage or save my money for an entire new set in 3 years. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to be throwing good money after bad, but I do need more space and cannot afford all new furniture right now. Ugh!

P.S. Henkel Harris and Harden, as beautiful as they are, are a little too traditional for my tastes. Anything good that's a little more modern/transitional?

jarrodsmorton Guest

Let me clarify. When I say out of Tennessee, that is just where their headquarters are located. It doesn't mean it is 100 % manufactured there. Harden does do a little transitional. It is called the Natural Transitions collection. Keep in mind, you can change the finish on anything.

auctionjunkie Guest

Default Re: Problem with Brownstone Furniture

Anyone know anything about Crescent Furniture Co. from Warren penna? I have a vanity from them with the stamp still on it saying it was made for houghtaling furnityre co....I have been searching and searching and found 1 dresser from them that is apparently a federal revival style. From what was said it looks like the company shut down in the early 30's and was only open for about 30-40 years. Hard to believe there is only 1 other piece on the internet. Just wondering if any of you have heard of the company or have seen any early vanities made by them. This one is in good shape and was my mothers when she was a kid in the 50's...Any info would help, thank you!

Maximus Guest

Default Re: Problem with Brownstone Furniture

Your post caught my attention as I have lived in Warren CO PA for most of my 56 years and never heard of them. I googled them and found an article on them on capital.net. You could also email the Warren CO Historical Society, email address:
    warrencountyhistory@aol.com. I didn't live in Warren where they were located, so maybe that is why I never heard of them.