Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tell a good rug from a cheap one

Default Re: How to tell a good rug from a cheap one

Sorry, I don't know the regions on them. If that is critical to a purchase decision, I can find out....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

An update to this thread. The founder and owner of Woven Legends, Neslihan Jevremovic, whom I have been doing business with now for over two decades has done something admirable in my mind and I want to share it. We all hear about Syrian refugees and think 'Wow, someone needs to do something for these people' and then we give the Red Cross $ 25 and go on about our daily lives - I'm just as guilty as everyone else on that. Neslihan actually got involved and is making a difference in training Syrian women how to weave the rugs she brings to the USA. People that have a skill have hope, and money to buy food and clothes. Good on her! All the rugs you see in the photos here on this thread are from her company and she taught me everything I know about fine carpets on my many trips to her place in Philadelphia. Well done, Neslihan!

http://www.rugnews.com/ME2/dirmod.as...45E2EEC6467801
    Duane Collie

Jenny Guest

To give you an example of very fine handiwork - this a picture I took in a Persian rug store in the United Arab Emirates. In the rug in the background, note the brightness and intensity of the dye, the huge range of colors, and the delicate but yet crisp lines of the patterns. This is not a pure silk rug - it's more interesting than that, the artists used silk for certain details. The effect is that the intricate lines and flowers are highlighted and they shimmer under the light. Now, the "painting" in the middle is also a "rug" - it's hard to call it that because it's not something you'd ever want to step on, but it's woven like one nevertheless. These peices are fine art and only available from a few small villages famous for this level of craftsmanship

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	9394
    Last edited by Jenny; 01-11-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Emily64 Guest

Thanks for the tips, I also find it hard to tell the "bad" rugs apart when buying them for my new apartment.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-15-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Duane, your post a couple of days ago about hauling down the wrong carpet for shipment to California (I feel your pain, by the way) piqued my interest and I read many of the posts in this section of the forum.

I’m curious about post #3 in this thread and wonder if you did quickly sell some of the rugs you posted about and were able to order the one you left behind after all? Which is absolutely beautiful, I love the colors in that rug and see exactly why you didn’t want to leave it behind. And I admire your restraint!

That may be too far back to remember, but just curious if one of your lucky customers had a chance to buy that particular carpet.

Thank you, Dennis

We still have four or five Woven Legends rugs left, I am not sure if they are still in business or not - no one answers their phone and their website is dated back to 2016. At one time I was going to their showroom/warehouse in Philadelphia every four to five months and bringing back a dozen rugs each trip. Prices climbed from them as Turkey became more affluent and then Pakistan and China started knocking off their rugs at half the price, so the market faded on Woven Legends. We don't exactly "Push" these rugs to clients, they are somewhat covered up by furniture, but are all new, old stock and priced accordingly. They are more vibrant and colorful than what you see in those photos. Pricing is around $ 75 to $ 90 per square foot depending on the rug. All 100% handmade wool. Three in the photos plus the one I rolled up and have not yet put back down on the floor.

I still have twelve of their rugs in my own house, short of owning original antique Persians, these have always been the best reproductions available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rug1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	15142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rug2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	15143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rug3.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	15144
    Duane Collie