Thread: Quality Recliner

ctiner Guest

Default Quality Recliner

Oh the great mystery of life.... What recliner to buy? Do any of them really hold up to constant use? Not misuse, but a couple of hours of daily use?

I have had Lane, Lazy Boy, Franklin, and currently Flexsteel, they all seem to fail in around 5 yrs. Ok, I am a big guy, not huge, 6'2" & 225lbs, no kids, so no abuse. The mechanicals seem to be the weak link....

So I am looking for suggestions. Barcalounger, Best, B&Y, Palliser, Catnapper, Handcock & Moore?

I just want a mech that will last.....

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Quality Recliner

The mechanism is always the weakest link in any recliner from any maker. I put a lot of time into researching and studying recliner mechanisms and have even gone so far as to look at feasibility studies in conjunction with a mechanical engineer that works for Chrysler Automotive to design a super-strong unit. We have even purchases several basic mechanisms to see if we can 're-invent the wheel' on them. And we can do it, but the problem is cost per unit. To make a unit the way WE wanted to make one would run the price up close to $ 200 a unit at bulk wholesale, and manufacturers don't want to pay that. The very best current mechanisms from Leggett & Platt and Universal Mech are running the furniture companies 1/4 of that price or less. Consumers don't want to see their recliners increase in price by $ 400 in retail price. So that idea was dead in the water.....

You should be getting more than 5 years out of a mechanism in a decent chair, however. In the Hancock & Moore line (Leggett & Platt) as well as Bradington Young (Universal Mech) I replace very few mechanisms, even on older units. I probably order no more than two as parts per year at about $ 120 cost to the customer and that's for the part, not the labor to install. In my experience, most recliner mechanisms are damaged when the chair is OPEN into a recline position. They are weakest at that point and care should be taken not to stress them. Typically that includes kids horsing around in the chair, getting out of the chair when its left open, and moving the chair into other rooms when its open. I have, for example, (2) H&M recliners and (3) B-Y ones in my own home and all are on the original mechanisms. The oldest unit dates to a 1987 purchase date.

There are cheaply made mechanisms out there - coming from China. Some of the brands you mention have those.

It you really want durability, skip the recliners and go to a tilt back chair with ottoman. They're pretty much bulletproof.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ISUFan22 Guest

Default Re: Quality Recliner

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    It you really want durability, skip the recliners and go to a tilt back chair with ottoman. They're pretty much bulletproof.
    Exactly what we did - just waiting for the items to arrive.