Thread: Sleeper sectional sofa....

roadiemoose Guest

Default Sleeper sectional sofa....

Hi Duane and members,

First time visitor here. I thought moving was stressful enough, but now I'm adding the added stresses of purchasing an entire home's worth of furniture.

My question seems fairly simple. Are there any furniture manufacturers that build a quality sleeper sectional?? I'm looking for solid hardwood frame, proper joinery etc.. I"m a big guy and I'm not interested in cheap plywood and stapled sofas. I love everything I've read about the quality of Hancock & Moore, but after a search of their website, they don't seem to sell sleeper sectionals.

In a perfect world, I'm looking for something that houses a queen size sleeper with a love seat sized return for the other side. I'll get into fabric and other options later.

Thank you very much for any responses.

Happy New Year,

Bryan

Default Re: Sleeper sectional sofa....

Hi Bryan,

The issue with Sleepers is they make for a lousy sitting piece. When you install a sleeper mechanism, you're removing all the frame structure that makes the piece strong and replacing it with an open box, to which you are dropping in and attaching a sleeper mechanism. Add to that the loss of all the 8-Way Hand-Tied spring deck, and you have at best a hybrid piece that will never perform well either as a sitting piece OR as a bed. That's why you don't see them in higher end pieces, because by the nature of the build they are compromised pieces. I don't even recommend sleeper units unless the bed unit is going to be used every week and multiple times every year - you are just giving up too much. To build one all mortise and tenon-ed out of solid hardwood frame is going to be a $ 15,000 and up piece, that's another reason you won't see them. The best you will likely find is a plywood based piece, screwed and glued.

For most my customers, I prefer to steer them into conventional stationary pieces as they will get a MUCH better piece, and then get a premium air mattress setup with electric air pump when extra sleeping space is needed. That's what I do at my house.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

roadiemoose Guest

Default Re: Sleeper sectional sofa....

Hi Duane,

Thanks so much for your response. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info and advice. I already own a nice air mattress. Guess I'm going to put that thing to use.

Thanks again!!

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Hi Bryan,

The issue with Sleepers is they make for a lousy sitting piece. When you install a sleeper mechanism, you're removing all the frame structure that makes the piece strong and replacing it with an open box, to which you are dropping in and attaching a sleeper mechanism. Add to that the loss of all the 8-Way Hand-Tied spring deck, and you have at best a hybrid piece that will never perform well either as a sitting piece OR as a bed. That's why you don't see them in higher end pieces, because by the nature of the build they are compromised pieces. I don't even recommend sleeper units unless the bed unit is going to be used every week and multiple times every year - you are just giving up too much. To build one all mortise and tenon-ed out of solid hardwood frame is going to be a $ 15,000 and up piece, that's another reason you won't see them. The best you will likely find is a plywood based piece, screwed and glued.

For most my customers, I prefer to steer them into conventional stationary pieces as they will get a MUCH better piece, and then get a premium air mattress setup with electric air pump when extra sleeping space is needed. That's what I do at my house.