Thread: Leather Furniture Newbie Needing a Little Help...

MQUINIC Guest

Default Leather Furniture Newbie Needing a Little Help...

Mr. Collie (or any other furniture connoisseurs):

I am looking to purchase my first couple of pieces of mid- to high-end leather furniture and was wanting to ask for your advice in which manufacturers that you would personally recommend. I see that you deal with Classic Leather, Hancock & Moore, Bradington Young, and (previously) Leathercraft, but have you had any experience with Smith Brothers of Berne? Many of the Classic Leather and Hancock & Moore pieces that I have seen are a bit out of my current price point, without being heavily discounted, and Smith Brothers are much more obtainable for me. Would you recommend Smith Brothers of Berne? Are there any other quality manufacturers, that aren't quite as expensive and Classic Leather or H&M, that you could recommend? I understand that the cheaper price results in price cutting: detailing, tailoring, etc, but being one who cannot afford the best of the best and cannot tell the difference in the stitching or small details, I am ok with that. Ultimately, I just want a good looking leather living room set, that I can afford, that has the potential to last me 15 or more years (with proper care and maintenance, of course).

Also, would you happen to know of any good fine furniture dealers in the Columbus, OH area? The couple that I have visited are fairly small and do not carry much of an inventory for me to view, and Arlington, VA is a bit too far of a drive for me right now. I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Maurice

Default Re: Leather Furniture Newbie Needing a Little Help...

Hi Maurice,

I only have two leather lines, Hancock & Moore and Bradington Young. Smith Bros, I have not picked up because 1) they are a sinuous spring line 2) They don't have a very broad product line 3) They are in Indiana (much higher freight costs than from the hubs of North Carolina). However I hear folks that say they are happy with that line so best just to see if you get other replies on it. Classic Leather doesn't appeal to me, its a plywood-frame line that keeps taking build processes out of their manufacturing and cutting back their product offerings. I think I wrote them off when their sales rep was very excited about showing me their Harley Davidson Logo Line on Leather Sofas - I'm never had anyone ask for the H=D logo to be embroidered into the back cushions of a sofa. If that's the best they can do, then they have lost their way.

From the lines I am familiar with, I think Bradington Young will get you right where you want to be. Sorry, I never travel to Columbus OH and have no idea of dealers in that region. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MQUINIC Guest

I thank you for your response. Are there any major issues, that you are aware of, with sinuous springs? Smith Brothers does seem to have a fairly strong warranty on their product, but I have read your thread about warranties, and do realize that it's best to never have to make a claim in the first place.

I have also checked in to some of the Bradington Young pieces that I have been able to find here locally. I know that you highly recommend the 910 & 912 series. Thanks again.

Sinuous springs are a step-down from 8-way coil springs. They are less costly to buy and MUCH less costly to install. That does not mean they will have a failure rate, it means they generally do not have the comfort of 8-ways in the seat deck, and usually are not as supportive. It's not going to be a warranty issue (remember warranties cover defects in materials and workmanship), its more from a standpoint of use. No major issues with them, they are wide spread distribution throughout the industry - but its a clear sign of less costly to build furniture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.