Thread: Let's look at some older leather pieces in my house

Default Let's look at some older leather pieces in my house

January 2014...I cleaned and conditioned all the leather furniture on my main level today (I'll do my basement rec room pieces another time) and thought I'd show you what used leather furniture looks like over time if you buy quality pieces. We are a family of four with a Cairn Terrier (miss Gracie) that use the pieces daily and don't pamper the furniture however my wife and I keep a tidy home. We realize the value of things and keep them maintained. I clean and condition annually, though I should be doing it every 6 months. All my leathers are aniline, I don't buy finished (protected) leathers for my own home. I think these pieces still look pretty good for their age. This should give you some idea of how pieces will appear in average use. When you buy good stuff, it holds up, and yes - you have to pay a bit more but it comes back to you in longevity of the item.

This is a 13 year old Leathercraft model 2160 sofa, purchased new in 2001. Daily use, has some sunlight damage. Cushions and leather have held up well, webbing and frame / suspension are solid. Tight back sofa.

Another Leathercraft 2160, opposite the older one. This one is roughly 3 years old and sees the highest use of any piece in the house other than the barstools. Some wear on the welt trim and arm seams on the right side as you face the sofa.

My 1044 Sadler Recliner in Kipling Whiskey. About 6 years old. This poor chair takes a beating including being dropped into by my 340 lb Brother In Law and being the chair that Miss Gracie likes to hide her ball and then dig it out. it shows some wear on welt trim and a bit of sun fade.

My Favorite Bar Stool of all Time. My Hancock and Moore Steel Farm Barstools in Cameo Brown Burnished, about 3 years old. These are in constant use and other than a bit of wear on the black brass footrests, look primo. Solid, Heavy, Expensive. You get what you pay for. We use these barstools at the kitchen and most meals are served at the counter rather than the kitchen table.

My wife's Computer Chair, a Hancock & Moore in Berkshire Chestnut. Tough leather. 7 years old

A Leathercraft chair in my living room that no one ever sits on, so it should look good. 7 years old.

My H&M Tavern Chairs in Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished in my Library. About 3 years old. Miss Gracie thinks these are her chairs and sits in her with me in the evening when I answer emails and do forum posts. They have some light surface scratches from her nails when she jumps up into them.

My newest piece, a H&M office chair in Quintessence in my home library that I use every day. This one is only a year old though....

All cleaning done with Leather Magic products, available to order from my store for $ 38.50 shipped via USPS Priority mail (8 oz bottle of cleaner, 8 oz bottle of conditioner - specify finished or aniline leather use). Now accepting PayPal to dcollie@keepingoom.com.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-12-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Let's look at some older leather pieces in my house

Hi Duane
    Can my next Hancock & Moore sofa order be paid thru my PAYPAL account?

PayPal charges a 2.95% fee, which is too high for big ticket items is using it conventionally. HOWEVER if you use the payment as to 'friends and family' then there is no fee and I can do that. Be aware you don't get the same 'guarantee' coverage with 'friends and family' as you do with the mainstream PayPal.
    Duane Collie

susansbs Guest

Hi Duane,

I love those bar stools in your house--do they make them in counter height? I'm in the market for 2 or three counter height and these look like exactly what I want....

They make them in a 24" and 30" seat height, and you want about 12" from the seat to the top of your counter. Mine are 30's....
    Duane Collie

susansbs Guest

Thanks for the info-the 24" seat height is the right size. I may even end up with the same color if it goes with my granite (scheduled to arrive for templating today). I'm getting leathered granite so it will look more rustic therefore I can have a more rustic leather for my stools

releasing sticky on this thread
    Duane Collie

Ci2Eye Guest

Duane,

Do you remember the wood finish on your wife's office chair?

Just the default, Mahogany Distress....
    Duane Collie