Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Lane Furniture

Duane, have you ever thought of being a personal shopper? Wish I would of had this list when I started looking I only knew about a couple of them. I was able to find a picture of the sofa at southlandhomefurniture.com they have it listed as Lane Furnishings Bennett sofa/loveseat collection 916. The set I picked out says Hemispheres Collection By Lane Home Furnishings. I know it is no longer available according to the store I found it in, and I know a picture doesn't tell you alot but if you have any ideas let me know the sale price was $2700.00 I am not certain as to the original price but I think it was about $3800.00 although not really sure. We want something that will last a long time. Thanks again.
    Last edited by kwarner; 03-09-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Briant, I understand the pieces have been discontinued, do you know if I can contact Lane and ask them, can you read my last reply to Duane? You guys are so helpful I really appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by kwarner; 03-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Briant, I understand the pieces have been discontinued, do you know if I can contact Lane and ask them, can you read my last reply to Duane? You guys are so helpful I realy appreciate your comments.
    I can read any public message you post, as for contacting Lane, sorry can't really help you I'm just a consumer with no contacts in the industry. Your best bet is to go to Lanes website and see if there is a phone number to call them at.

What other brands in leather does the store you shopped at sell leather furniture in? Are you set on a Sofa and Loveseat or would a Sofa and Chair work for you? Did you work with a sales person who seemed to want to take care of you, if so give him a call and talk to him what you are looking for in furniture and any misgivings you are having. A good one will answer your questions and work with you to get you what you want/need.

You said that you do like the look and feel of the piece which regardless of furniture brand is something I find very important because you have to live with it. As for quality I can't comment never owned a Lane piece other than a 50+ year old cedar/hope chest.

Hancock and Moore is considered a very fine brand with pieces that are made for a lifetime if you are looking for that. Just for comparsion according to pricing Duane has posted here, a Hancock and Moore City sofa in the Town and country program would run $1994. I see there is a loveseat available but it may be only for a sectional and it runs $1994. Chair and ottoman would be about 1196+491. Of course this doesn't factor in applicable taxes or shipping if needed. The City might be too soft for your tastes and I only used it as a reference point. Duane has said in the past that Bradington Young is close to Hancock and Moore quality wise but usually a bit less expensive. There are other brands built very well that should last you a long time. I just don't know if Lane is it.

Some links to check out
    Lane sofa http://www.americanreproductions.com/lane916sofa.htm
    Hancock and Moore City http://hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=1028
    Bradington Young http://www.bradington-young.com/

jarrodsmorton Guest

Kathy,

I have sold Lane here at Furnitureland South for a while. From a quality and price point scale of 1-10, it is around a 5. I agree with all of the lines they are suggesting above. It will be hard to find one as sleek as you liked from Lane. Most of these manufacturers are real traditional. I would also check out Elite Leather at www.eliteleather.com and Distinction Leather at www.distinctionleather-furniture.com. Duane also suggested Classic Leather and Leathercraft, which are my personel favorites as far as quality goes. It really depends on how much you want to put into it.

Well, I have to admit my curiosity got the better of me on this thread so I called up Jimmy Moore (of Hancock and Moore) to ask him about Lane quality. Now of course, Jimmy is biased towards what he builds, but he's probably the smartest man in North Carolina on how to make a high quality piece of furniture, especially leather furniture.

He told me that Lane is no where near a premium quality piece, that it's made in China, using drop-in spring grids, cowhide leather, and really not built to last.

Now the cowhide part got me to ask him some more questions, and I learned something new today.

H&M uses only Steer Hide, Top Grain, "A" Grade. (apparently there are grades A through D at the wholesale level, which I did not know before, either). There is no cowhide used at H&M. I asked him why and he said that "cowhide stretches too much over time, that the steer hides are much stiffer. Much of the belly leather in cowhide is full of varicose veins from the udder area and it makes the leather looks like it has 'worms'. It also has too much elasticity and stretches three to four more times than steer hide. You only want to buy leather furniture made from steer hide otherwise the furniture looks terrible in a few years."

HA! Try THAT on your salesman at your local furniture store sometime, that should really get a blank stare. "Is this made from cowhide or steer hide?" Until today, I couldn't have answered that, either.

Jimmy went on and on, but I'll spare you the rest. Suffice to say that in his opinion you're not getting a very good value for your money.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodsmorton View Post
    Kathy,

I have sold Lane here at Furnitureland South for a while. From a quality and price point scale of 1-10, it is around a 5. I agree with all of the lines they are suggesting above. It will be hard to find one as sleek as you liked from Lane. Most of these manufacturers are real traditional. I would also check out Elite Leather at www.eliteleather.com and Distinction Leather at www.distinctionleather-furniture.com. Duane also suggested Classic Leather and Leathercraft, which are my personel favorites as far as quality goes. It really depends on how much you want to put into it.

Jarrod, just for reference to help out what would you say is in the 1-3 range and what would you put in the 7-10 range?

dr56 Guest

Default Steer vs. Cowhide

Funny you should mention that, Duane, and I had intended to ask you that specific question myself but I assumed H&M was steer and not cowhide. My neighbor just recently purchased BY leather furniture and made that exact statement to me that you do not want cowhide as it is a lower grade and nothing like the quality of steer. Like I said I know H&M is high quality and they certainly would not use cowhide or I would have been surprised if they did. Very good information to provide, Duane, and especially for those looking for leather furniture. So can we get Jimmy on this forum? That would be great, wouldn't it?

Thanks for all of your help. I guess the old saying live and learn applies here. On the bright side I haven't picked out a new recliner yet so at least with all the information on here I should be able to do that with better success. Guess I can just hope that the set I picked out will be the one that lasts only time will tell unless of course I go back to the store and find something else in the $3000.00 price range unfortunately I don't recall the other brands they carry but I guess I could research that in comparison to the ones you have mentioned. Any special suggestions you can make as for recliners preferably leather we are both tall larger than average and would like a more firm seat. Thanks again for taking your time on here it is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kwarner; 03-10-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Thanks for all of your help. I guess the old saying live and learn applies here. On the bright side I haven't picked out a new recliner yet so at least with all the information on here I should be able to do that with better success. Guess I can just hope that the set I picked out will be the one that lasts only time will tell unless of course I go back to the store and find something else in the $3000.00 price range unfortunately I don't recall the other brands they carry but I guess I could research that in comparison to the ones you have mentioned. Any special suggestions you can make as for recliners preferably leather we are both tall larger than average and would like a more firm seat. Thanks again for taking your time on here it is greatly appreciated.
    You may want to go back to the store and look around and see what else they have just in case but I gather from you that you found the Lane comfortable and liked the style which is important. As for the pieces lasting time will tell. I STRONGLY suggest whatever furniture you buy to make sure that when the furniture is delivered to go over it thoroughly for any imperfections or issues. New furniture should be trouble free but sometimes you catch something be it a imperfection on the leather/fabric or a odd sound from the springs and it's best to look for it before signing off and giving the store the rest of the payment. When I got my Sofa and Recliner we went over everything and noted some issues which was then listed and added to the delivery/payment invoice and yes they were taken care of.

I'll let the experts give you information on the recliners but keep in mind there is the option of a tilt back chair with ottoman. Tilt backs should hold up better than a recliner throughout the years since the only moving piece is the back and they are constructed in the seat just like a regular chair (I got this information from Duane btw).

Quote Originally Posted by dr56 View Post
    So can we get Jimmy on this forum? That would be great, wouldn't it?
    Would be great, but Jimmy doesn't use computers! When I want to send him a .pdf file or .jpg photo, I have to send it to the Webmaster at H&M who goes and gets Jimmy then prints it out for him.

One reason I do like to go to the H&M factory and take tours is because Jimmy Moore is the guide and we spend about four hours together. I learn a lot in those four hours (probably lucky to retain about half).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.