Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on Lane Furniture

jarrodsmorton Guest

Brian,

A 1-3 in quality in price point would be things you find in low end furniture buying warehouses or Rooms to Go. For example, I am pretty skeptical about buying a sofa, loveseat, chair, and ottoman for $ 399. Most of them use split grain leather and the frame is composites. On a 7-10, you could say from Bradington Young to Century Leather. The thing you have to be weary of, and you all have mentioned this. A lot of these manufacturers cut corners to reach a certain price point. That could be using a drop in coil unit versus true eight way hand tied, or cowhide versus steer. Also, leathers are graded based on where they come from. The cheaper are from South America and your most expensive are from Europe. Is it a quality issue? No, as long as you are dealing with top grain leather. South American hides are not very big because it is so dry. There is not as much food. They also have a lot of bug bites so when they get tanned there is a big cleaning process that takes place in order to be used. Some come from the U.S. or Canada which is a little of the best and worst. Lets take Europe, there are some parts where hides come out of the drum ready to be put on a sofa. They are that perfect. Therefore, you pay for the rarity of the hide.

Yes, the European hides are terrific. They don't use barbed wire in Europe, so the hides have few scars on them and far less bugs there as well. The Euro/Dollar rate has a lot to do with pricing of those hides as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sarah Guest

Hmm . . .

I purchased two Lane wingback chairs in 2002. By 2004, the seats & springs were completely broken-down and both chairs developed terrible squeaks. We chose to get rid of those chairs in 2005 and after that experience, I will never buy another Lane product. My disappointment in those chairs (combined with a dud Natuzzi sofa & an equally pitiful Lazyboy recliner) led me online in search of information about more reputable brands of furniture.

On the other hand, my mother-in-law has some 7-year-old Lane furnishings (2 chairs & 1 sofa) that have held up reasonably well. For the price she paid, she has certainly gotten her money's worth and she is satisfied with her purchase.

I do hope that you have good luck with your sofas and that they serve you well for many years to come.

-Sarah

Smile Lane Furniture Update

Well first I would like say Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. We that being my DH and myself went to the furniture store where we had picked out the sofa and loveseat set and asked if wanted could I change my mind and get something different. They very graciously said that would be fine they just wanted me to be happy. Well DH said no that's the set you like that's the one we are getting and if it falls apart we will deal with it then so thsy't the one we got . It was delivered yesterday and I took Duane's advice and checked it over top to bottom everything was fine it is all leather Semi-Aniline whatever that's worth really couldn't find out with all my research but I like it so as I have said before only time will tell and the sofa is very heavy and the arms have no give. Thanks again KW
    Last edited by kwarner; 03-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Well first I would like say Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. We that being my DH and myself went to the furniture store where we had lived out the sofa and loveseat set and asked if wanted could I change my mind and get something different. They very graciously said that would be fine they just wanted me to be happy. Well DH said no that's the set you like that's the one we are getting and if it falls apart we will deal with it then so thsy't the one we got . It was delivered yesterday and I took Duane's advice and checked it over top to bottom everything was fine it is all leather Semi-Aniline whatever that's worth really couldn't find out with all my research but I like it so as I have said before only time will tell and the sofa is very heavy and the arms have no give. Thanks again KW
    Good to hear that you got it already and it's to you're liking. I am glad to hear the store was willing to make a switch which is promising since regardless of what brand of furniture you purchase a retailer that works with a customer is very important since most furniture companies use retailers as their customer service contact points.

I hope your furniture holds up and give you plenty of years of good service.

As to leathers you may want to check out the leather message forum here to tell you more about it.

soster Guest

We used to be a Lane dealer. About 10-12 years we carried the high-end of Lane FABRIC upholstery. Some of it was 8-way, and some sinuous. It was as good as anything out there. I think it was about 7 years ago that Lane began to move away from the better upholstery. That might explain the differences in ownership experience posted here.