Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bradington Young Tilt Back Gas Cylinder

Rick H. Guest

Default Bradington Young Tilt Back Gas Cylinder

I purchased one many years ago from a now defunct dealer. We cannot locate a model number on the chair and we don't have the receipt. In looking at BY's website, it is similar to The Laredo model 548. I sent a couple of faxes to BY and they have not replied. They don't list an email address or have an 800 number so I suspect they don't like to hear from their customers. The chair will recline and I have to pull it back up while holding the lever to return it to an upright position. Am I at the mercy of a repair guy or how can I identify the correct cylinder so I can do it myself? Many thanks in advance!

earlh Guest

Default Re: Bradington Young Tilt Back Gas Cylinder

They have a phone number, just not an 800 number. It's here.

Rick H. Guest

I saw that as well but it is unusual to not have an 800 number for customers.

That's because you must order through a dealer - Bradington Young does not sell direct to end users, even for parts. They will not answer your inquires, either. Sorry.

A gas strut is $ 55 and that includes 48 state shipping. They use the same strut in all the models since they first came out. You can paypal to dcollie@keepingroom.com if you'd like to order one or call the store at 703-360-6399. If you Paypal, be sure to include your shipping address.

If you replace it yourself, its VERY IMPORTANT that you do not test cycle the gas cylinder prior to putting it in the piece if the unit comes with locking clips on it. If you make that mistake, you will have to order a new one. Put it in the unit, and then release the retaining clips. My guess is at least half my customers just have to see if that's true and they release the locks while they have in their hands, then call me up and say "Yep, you were right, do I really have to buy a new one again?" Yes, you do!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rick H. Guest

I've read your past posts on this and maybe I'm misinterpreting but my cylinder is fastened on one end with a clip and the other end is threaded with a nut. When you speak of clips, is that the same as the clip that holds one end or are the clips you are referring to are used only during assembly and then thrown away? My cylinder measures 6" without the plunger and 1" in diameter - does that sound correct?

Some gas struts have retaining clips to keep them in the closed (compressed) position prior to installation. If the strut you get as a replacement part has those clips them do not remove them until the strut is securely in the furniture.

I have no idea on the dimensional measurements of the strut, I have not yet had to replace one on a BY piece and speak in general terms on them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rick H. Guest

Thanks very much for all of your help!

earlh Guest

So how did this all end? Will you be replacing that cylinder yourself?

Rick H. Guest

Yes, I will be replacing it myself armed with a new cylinder from our Fearless Leader. It will take 7 - 10 days to get the new part.

Rick H. Guest

Duane:
    Haven't yet received the cylinder. It was charged to my card on 1/23 so we're beyond the 7-10 day period. Coincidentally, BY finally replied to my faxes today that were sent before you did the order and I asked her to look into the shipment. As the chair is sitting disabled in our family room, it'd be great to get this part. Is there a tracking number you can send me? Thanks!

UPDATE: funny how these things happen - UPS just delivered the cylinder and I'm looking forward to getting the chair up and running soon. Again, thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Rick H.; 02-07-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: update