Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bradington Young Tilt Back Gas Cylinder

Default Re: Bradington Young Tilt Back Gas Cylinder

Hi Rick,

Parts are not always the fastest...I have a memo slip on this that arrived this week dated 1/31/14 that says "Must Ship by 02/14/14" so it will likely be another week or so until its sent out according to that slip.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rick H. Guest

Duane:

I lined up the new cylinder against the one in the chair and the new one is 2" shorter (9" vs. 11") and may be slightly less in diameter (hard to tell as I don't want to take out the first one). So, the Bradington Young people were not correct in telling you that all of the cylinders for tilt backs are the same. As both ends are bolted into the metal frame, I can't "stretch" this new one to fit. Also, the new one does not have the clips you wrote about that should not be removed before installation. The new one has a double nut on one end as opposed to the previous one which has a single nut on that end. And, the previous one has a 1" white washer which is not on the new one. While it's hard to make out the old one's stamp, the previous one says it's Southern with a partial number of 0 209 710 (hard to read it all as a cord rubs up against it wiping away the number). The new one's part number is SG5060L06001 with a date of 2013/02/26. It's made by a Korean company named Samhongsa Co, Ltd. with a logo stating "SHS". Bradington Young's customer service order form does not state a part number or manufacturer just "24 varitilt/switch/cylinder/cable" on one line and the second line states "varitilt cylinder". The customer service order number is C49116 and your order number is 120. It was shipped UPS.

What should I do now? And, will I have a long wait or could this be expedited?

Sorry the new cylinder didn't work, I'll look into it next week when I can call and talk to them on it. I've never had to replace one on a Bradington Young and can only go by what they tell me which was they have only one replacement part for all the Vari-Tilt chairs no matter how old they are. It may be that the one you need is no longer available and if so you would have to modify the chair to accept that one or return it and I would refund your purchase price.
    Duane Collie

Brad-Young tells me the new one will work, and its the only one available. It won't be exactly like the old one. They told me that you need to 'flip the top bar over' and then attach and then it will make up for the length difference. If you're still stuck after that, I'll let you speak to someone at B-Y, just PM me for a name and number. Good Luck
    Duane Collie

earlh Guest

This little cylinder repair is turning into "the cylinder from hell!" LOL No, really, I hope not. But hey don't forget this:

"If you replace it yourself, its VERY IMPORTANT that you do not test cycle the gas cylinder prior to putting it in the piece if the unit comes with locking clips on it. If you make that mistake, you will have to order a new one. Put it in the unit, and then release the retaining clips. My guess is at least half my customers just have to see if that's true and they release the locks while they have in their hands, then call me up and say "Yep, you were right, do I really have to buy a new one again?" Yes, you do!"

Just thought I'd throw it in as a friendly reminder.

Rick H. Guest

Duane: As flipping over the cylinder does not make it 2" longer, they must be referring to something within the chair steel frame. I've looked at it and can't figure out what they are referring to. Many of these steel connections in the frame are welded. I'm stumped!

Rick H. Guest

UPDATE: Even though flipping one frame end in the chair looked like I would only gain 1", I decided to go ahead, disassemble it and try it. And, it worked! I now have the chair I bought many years ago with a complete upright position and a springing back after reclining it. Many thanks for all of your help in this. You now have an answer to those who have old BY tilt backs and find the replacement cylinder to be too short.
    Last edited by Rick H.; 02-11-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: update

I have no experience replacing these in Bradington Young, sorry. Call them at 704-435-5881, press "4" and ask for Rene'. She said she would walk you through the procedure over the phone. There is only one strut part available they tell me.
    Duane Collie

I too have a BY tilt back chair. It is 30-40 years old. I read that they use(d) the same gas strut "since they first came out". Is this true for chairs this old. My strut says it is a Verin Ch-9442. Will the $55 strut you mention replace this one?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's because you must order through a dealer - Bradington Young does not sell direct to end users, even for parts. They will not answer your inquires, either. Sorry.

A gas strut is $ 55 and that includes 48 state shipping. They use the same strut in all the models since they first came out. You can paypal to dcollie@keepingroom.com if you'd like to order one or call the store at 703-360-6399. If you Paypal, be sure to include your shipping address.

If you replace it yourself, its VERY IMPORTANT that you do not test cycle the gas cylinder prior to putting it in the piece if the unit comes with locking clips on it. If you make that mistake, you will have to order a new one. Put it in the unit, and then release the retaining clips. My guess is at least half my customers just have to see if that's true and they release the locks while they have in their hands, then call me up and say "Yep, you were right, do I really have to buy a new one again?" Yes, you do!

Update: I have ordered three struts from B-Y for inventory and when they arrived, they are exactly like the ones from Hancock and Moore. Price is $ 60 each and they are $ 10 to ship priority mail. Can be ordered via PayPal sent to keepingroom@mail.com. No returns on struts.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-25-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    Duane Collie