Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living Room Adding a Chair and Ottoman - Is this too much furniture?

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Living Room Adding a Chair and Ottoman - Is this too much furniture?

I would ask myself what is the principal use of this room and for how many people? TV watching? comfortable seat for each person. If it is a room for visitors, guest? or just occasional use, another recliner or tilt back chair and ottoman would not be needed. Before I would add another chair add in side tables for lamps, window treatments, throw pillows , wall decor and see how you use the room and how the traffic pattern flows.

Default Re: Living Room Adding a Chair and Ottoman - Is this too much furniture?

You have what I think is to many neutrals in that room (yes, I know that's what the realtors say to do, but it makes it look stark and sterile). Assuming you don' want the expense of replacing the carpet, how about a little paint? Paint is cheap. Consider painting the walls a mid to light tan like this color and then taking that dark trim around the doors and windows any making it white.

Name:  index.gif
Views: 434
Size:  37 Bytes

Trying to get all the punch from your furniture is a common mistake, get your primary color spiff from the room itself (walls. trim. window treatments) and then highlight/work it with the furniture and accessories. As for adding another chair, I'd consider a swivel rocker rather than lining up another big H&M piece. Take a look at Jessica Charles chairs. Keep that area light in visual weight is my recommendation. Something like this:

http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=446
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

goldem Guest

Great questions. This is the living/sitting room of the home. No TV, that is set side in a separate room. Reading, talking, entertaining. Daily use ranging up mostly to 4-5 people.

Side tables are planned on the side of the sofa opposite the bookcase, between the recliner and wall, and between where the chair being considered would rest (represented by the brown) and the wall. I'm thinking to hold off on window treatments and wall decoration until the furniture is settled, as I think it's far easier to hunt down fabrics and art pieces to coordinate colors (assuming the colors CAN be mingled) than it is to change the furniture lines or color.

goldem Guest

The carpet is actually targeted for replacement after the furniture is decided (it's getting worn enough and the padding has very obvious impressions which aren't going to fade from what I can tell). Painting's actually also in the plans (if it helps out of course). I think I understand what you're talking about Duane, which does help. Adding color to the majority of the room's surface and using the furniture to help drive that color out and create more of a contrast with the accents bringing the two together?

I've considered a swivel (glider, recliner or rocker) focusing on H&M in order to be able to use the lovely shade of blue from Capri Navy, but maybe I need to reconsider them again. I'll also be honest in saying my perceptions were swivel gliders were more of a maternity audience than a general usage, though really I'm thinking that's incorrect at this point. Would I be correct in thinking blue (or maybe even leather in general) doesn't work well in keeping the visuals light in the room? Would a brighter shade of blue such as Weston make a difference? My heart isn't set on that it, but I do like the aniline blues I've seen so far on H&M pieces.

I ask because I'm very hesitant to bring fabric into the room for upholstery due to the potential for pet mischief. Leather isn't something they will touch, but fabric has been another matter with the original inexpensive furniture which has passed through the home's history (not definite, but much more likely).

If the carpet is on the way out, then I would do hardwood flooring and a nice area rug in the center, that will REALLY brighten the room.

You can do H&M swivel chairs as well, try to keep the size not too large, something like this:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2194
    Duane Collie

goldem Guest

That's a good thought, and one I'd considered so the advice helps to back that train of thought.

Is there a reason for the swivel glider instead of the stationary (since it looks like many of the gliders are similar in size to the stationary chairs)? It the intent to save on space consumed by an ottoman?

Also, do H&M swivel gliders do 8-way hand tied or are they drop-ins?

If I understand what you're saying, something along the lines of a Benson (http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1608) would be a good size? Can you say how that style sits for you personally (firm on the back, pitch is incorrect, too deep...), assuming you've had one come through your store?

I know you've said the Oscar sits well, but it's just so...boring when I look at it, and its modern/office style doesn't really seem to draw much interest for me.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm really trying to get things figured out before the opportunity to take advantage of the H&M promotional period draws close to the finish.

Yes, I think given the room size and entry, you need to have a piece that has less bulk and isn't stationary in that space. Yes they are 8-way's in all their chairs except for recliners and a few tight seat pieces that space will not allow for that kind of suspension. That model "Benson" sits good for me and that might be a good pick. At the end of the day however, get what YOU like regardless of my recommendations. All I would recommend is to keep the form factor on the compact side for that space.
    Duane Collie

goldem Guest

That makes sense. The lack of a place to put feet up is a bit of a sticking point, but I'm thinking around why that's such a concern...maybe a boot stool or small footrest would be a fit in that case. What I'm working with on the advice you're giving is trying to determine a piece I like and how I can determine what will keep things light in appearance in both cover and frame. I've been trying to use the COL measurement as a rough guideline as well on when a piece starts to appear overpowering, which seems to be somewhat accurate.

Yesterday I visited the closest H&M dealer to see if they had any gliders to try out, and they had one, the 9461G Sullivan. When I was in that piece trying a gentle rocking motion, I actually felt like I was being thrown out with each forward swing. Maybe it was just the design of the piece, which is definitely possible.

davidfred Guest

@goldem :I appreciate your thoughts and agree with them as well. The arrangement of the chairs should be ,so as to have a space to move around. I got my home renovated and have used carpets surrounding chairs. The carpets from Carpet Installation Chantilly are complimenting the chairs.
    Last edited by davidfred; 03-15-2014 at 03:14 AM.

goldem, I don't know what kind of a time-line you are on, and I have read all your posts so I do understand you have planned carpet replacement and paint. In the event that you are going to accomplish this in stages, you could select an area rug in advance of deciding when or if you would add wood flooring. Looking at your floor plan and photos, my first thought was that of an area rug pulling the room together and adding warmth. If you were to do that, then pillows could help tie the area rug with the furniture pieces ...and later link to any window treatment and artwork. Depending on the carpet you now have, a Karastan rug (for example) can work on top in the short term. It is amazing how such an area rug and sofa pillows can integrate the overall design (and comfort). I also find myself wondering what the opening is across from the door where you enter the room? Is that a closet or what? I guess I am talking about what you all have called the long wall. My reason for asking is that I can't help but wish that your Sofa could fit along the Wall to the right of the entry door. That way you could fully use the length of the room for the recliner and other chair, as well as an ottoman, bookcase, cat table and whatever the Ikea piece is. The long windows are a real asset and it would be great if they would not be 'shortened' by the Sofa being in front of either of them.
    Last edited by wisejd; 03-15-2014 at 11:49 AM.