Thread: Warning Movers

puhmuckel Guest

Default Warning Movers

I want to let everyone know about my ordeal with an antique furniture company. I paid them $680 to move two pieces from California to New Orleans only to find out that they are now non responsive and that all phone lines have been disconnected. Looking on the web I found out that there interstate license has been revoked 23 Feb 09. The company operates out of Main, but is also very active on ebay.

This is awful, especially since some customers have never received the furniture at all.

I am sorry to hear that. Next time you need a good antique mover, drop me a note! I have a list of VERY good movers that specialize in high end product that have been around a long time and do good work. Plycon Van Lines out of Torrence, CA and Vintage Transport out of Atlanta GA are just two.

There are a lot of fly-by-night movers in Maine for some reason. What was the name of the mover? Bet I know them. A lot of these so-called 'antique movers' are no more than 2 guys and an old truck, with a cell phone. But they work cheap. I've come to find out that most of them don't carry Inland Marine Insurance (they never heard of it) which is contents insurance in case the load is lost or damaged.

Did you pay the fees to them yet? If not, there's some hope you will get your pieces. They will want to get paid if they have it on the truck. If you have paid the movers in full, then you may or may not ever see them again. These small movers I find are often druggies that live on pills and can't hold a job. They buy a truck and run it until it breaks then wander off and go do something else. Been there, done that with many of them.

Now I simply pay the price for the good companies who are more expensive, but are super-reliable.

Hope it all works out.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puhmuckel Guest

Default AC Delivers

That is the name of the company. I have paid them the money, but they never even picked up the furniture. I am one of the lucky one's because most of the time, the furniture is gone as well. I now have very little time left to find another driver or just sell the stuff and call it a day.

Here you go. Won't be the cheapest, but they do good, reliable work and they're based in California. I've used them many times.

http://www.plycongroup.com/quote_new.html

Here's the other service I use:

http://www.vintagetransport.com/quote.php

Now, as a long shot, call Ann at Home Delivery Service and tell her that you are having your H&M pieces delivered with them next month via The Keeping Room. HDS runs a truck to California once a month and because you're already a customer will probably agree to pick these up for you and drop them off in New Orleans, and it might be less expensive than the companies above. Call Ann at 828-396-2326. Be sure to name drop and tell her that I told you to call on this. I give them a LOT of business and Ann knows me, so it might work out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Thanks many times

Once again!