Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: H & M Leather Chair Showing Wear -- What should I do?

earlh Guest

Default Re: H & M Leather Chair Showing Wear -- What should I do?

I guess I shouldn't have said US made. Notwithstanding the origin of the leather, my assertion was simply that the quality of leather on an HM piece back then was better than it is now (ceteris paribus). Duane says no, so we'll leave it at that.

While cleaning and conditioning are indeed important for maintaining leather, usage also plays an important role in overall longevity. We own a BY sectional that is 16 years old that looks essentially new, but has had very little use and is in the basement family room. Contrasting that with a H&M chair, ottoman and sofa in Columbia leather that is about 4 years old and is in the main living area. Here the chair and ottoman are starting to show wear at the pressure points on the arms and piping on the seat cushion and ottoman. All these pieces are maintained on a strict semi- annual regimen of cleaning and conditioning using Leather Magic as Duane suggests. The difference is as I would expect, the piece that gets daily use does indeed show the most wear.

I would suggest that there are a number of factors that impact the overall condition of leather over time. Original leather quality, application, design of furniture, environmental factors, usage, and cleaning/maintainence all are variables that impact appearance and longevity.
    Last edited by cuse69; 02-18-2014 at 01:01 AM.

You are correct, Larry.... all leather shows WEAR with use, some do it better than others, and it also depends on how its being used. One of the terms I wish I could forever banish from the industry is PROTECTED and UNPROTECTED as that is so mis-leading. Folks think that PROTECTED means the leather has some kind of armor on it, when it does not - all that really means is that its a finished/painted/corrected hide with a topcoat on it. UNPROTECTED simply means its an aniline leather, dyed instead of painted.

What does paint do over time on most any surface? It wears away. To see a painted leather in action, you don't have to look any further than at your feet and check out those white leather tennis/basketball shoes you have on. What happens to them when they get to be a year or two old? The paint is worn off the toes and sides where its been subject to friction. Now, take a nice Coach Men's Wallet which is aniline. After a few years being carried every day it will shoe wear, but the color isn't coming off it, instead it develops some hues and patina - that's your unprotected leather.

A lot of folks are under the misconception that leather is wear-proof and its not. No matter which leather you buy, it WILL show signs of use and wear, and the first area to go on most any piece is the welt trim on a box cushion (Consider specifying a stitch closure instead of welt if you would like to avoid this). Cleaning and conditioning prevents deterioration of the hide but it does not stop usage wear. Leather outwears fabric at a 4 to 1 ratio, but it is by no means bulletproof.

I am a fan of aniline leathers. Yes they cost more, I can't help that. But they typically seem to look better as the years go by vs the painted or finished leathers as long as you control sun exposure to some degree and don't get a lot of chemicals on the hides like oil and cleaning products (ammonia, bleach, etc). Finished leathers usually cost less, and that's why they are popular and the very best advice I can give is to just enjoy your pieces and don't over-fuss on them when a small mark or some wear show, its going to happen.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

earlh Guest

Duane,

I think you're missing the point a bit here. Whether the leather has been painted, dyed, or pissed on is not really the issue. Yes, we know some leathers are superior to others. We know aniline/dyed leathers are preferred. We know painted/protected leathers are cheaper. Both have their strengths/weaknesses. But the real concern is how can a company upholster such an expensive "high end" chair with a cover that would look like that after a measly 6 years. It is almost unconscionable! I don't care that they didn't "cleanse and condition" it every so many months. They did not abuse it either. They are a retired 65 year old couple with no teenagers, no pets, and no little children. Hard to believe these people did anything other than sit in the chair. The bottom line is the upholstery should not have deteriorated to such extent, "cleansed and conditioned" or not. If this happened on some $500 Macy's chair, okay. But on a Hancock & Moore crème de la crème of furniture chair - come on! That's just unacceptable. If a leather's going to deteriorate so badly over failing to "cleanse and condition," do not use it!
    Last edited by earlh; 02-18-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Earth,

Just a small counter-point here ..."We" don't all know what you may know. I for one learn just a little more nearly every time Duane pen't a paragraph. I also don't actually have any idea what-so-ever what this particular chair has seen over it's relatively short in-use life to this point. I really like leather furniture and have not been able to bring myself to spend the money required to always buy the top-of-the-line hides. Thus far I have made the jump from Macy's furniture purchases to H&M pieces ...just not covered in their higher-priced covers. I can attest to this forum helping me make the jump that I've made thus far, and look forward to following your advice and others as to how to best maintain what I have purchased. I am definitely not holding back on using my H&M Chairs and Sofa every day.

earlh Guest

wisejd,

I hear you. And I hope my post doesn't come off as too abrasive. Well if it does I'm sure Duane will edit it. LOL But I guess I wasn't really thinking "we" as in everyone here; I was more interested in just driving home the point that it's not really a leather type issue but rather one of quality control. I, too, learn a great deal from Duane and all of his posts. In fact, before Duane, I knew little to nothing about leather. So, I am also grateful he shares his vast knowledge, and I always look forward to reading his posts. Here is a thread he did, which I don't know if you already read, but I strongly recommend reading it if you haven't. Some of Duane's best work.

Wow, thanks for the hyperlink to the thread from Duane on leather and leather care. I think I will refer to it often, as it answered some pressing questions that I have been wondering about lately regarding maintenance. In fact there are 'answers' for 'questions' I should have had but didn't know enough to be asking as yet.

circletrader Guest

Urg. Leather is gorgeous and quite comfortable, but one of its cons is that it requires regular conditioning. I'm sorry for your loss.

strofferazo Guest

Oh boy... I just ordered the Sundance sofa in the portfolio claret which is a protected leather. Should I be worried? Should I quickly change my order to an unprotected leather??????? I will diligently clean and condition it every 6 months. But I would be so upset if it only lasts me a few years and starts to look like some of those pictures!

You will absolutely love the Sundance in portfolio claret ...just lightly wash the leather off with ivory soap (not too much water) and then make certain you wash any soap residue off twice each year.