Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice

Default Re: Need a little advice

Here in is the problem with brand recommendations based on "ancient history" rather than build specifications. We can all remember many name brands that were great 20 or 25 years ago that today are junk after 5 years of use. In this case it sounds like there is a reasonable quality based on at least the cushions being spring-down, and important build specs equivalent to TK, but the 25 year old Henredon sofa was probably made with even better specs. The Henredon sofa sounds like a fit and good value for the OP and I agree with Duane that a complimentary piece can be purchased later. Keep in mind that even if you ordered a sofa with a current fabric gives you no guarantee that this fabric will be available in the future when you are ready for the loveseat. Fabric manufacturers are constantly introducing new designs/colors/weaves while at the same time discontinuing existing items.
    Good luck with your decision.

Larry

ucp113 Guest

Thank you for all of your help. We did not pull the trigger on the Henderon floor model because my wife really wanted a love seat to match. Duane I did check out the Taylor King as you suggested. I have only one dealer relatively close to me. The cheapest price with the least expensive fabric was over $2500. Wish you were closer Duane so I could buy from you. The quest continues to find some decent furniture at a reasonable price. I really dont want to go to a flexsteel sofa but the stores around me that carry good quality pieces, there are not many, charge a premium price. $500 over the price point Duane said I should be around for the portfolio collection. Getting frustrated!!

Not sure where you are located ucp113....but I can do TK Portfolio Sofas and Loveseats around the $ 1,500 each mark (give or take depending on specifics). If you want to come visit Washington DC, you can combine a mini-Vakay with a buying trip and its easy to have them shipped anywhere in the country. Cherry Blossoms will be here around the Tidal Basin in about 5 more weeks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ucp113 Guest

Duane I may just do that!!! Thank you again for your help. I will say the one thing I wish the portfolio collection would have is a tight back sofa back instead of cushions. The sales person here said Taylor King did not make a tight back.

ucp113 Guest

On a related note I was informed that Henredon filed for bankruptcy. That is the only other brand where I am located that is anywhere near my price range (unless you consider lazboy, etc.) Was I about to be taken advantage of by a dealer for a sofa, that we were considering ordering, for an order that my never have been filled?

Those brands are all in a state of flux right now, with F.B.I. parent holding company being parceled off. Some names will live on and some will perish, and I don't follow the industry close enough to be sure what is current and what is not.
    Duane Collie

ucp113 Guest

Thank you Duane. I am seriously considering coming down there as you suggested. My only question is how much is delivery to ohio?

Within the past week and a half, I received our H&M Sundance Sofa weighing 225 pounds from VA to Dayton, OH for $260.00 Not a problem as the purchase was not taxed so the shipping was more than offset. The shipping time, once the shipping company had the Sofa was about two-weeks in our case.

ucp113 Guest

Duane this is a question for you. We stepped back from getting furniture to focus on some other expenses. The Taylor King Line that you sell. I am looking for a sofa that has a tightback design, if they make one, and the length of the couch on the inside at least 84 inches from the arm to the other arm. So that would probably put the outside dimensions at least at 88 to 90 inches. Does Taylor King have something like that? Would also want a loveseat to match. Can you give me some idea on cost etc? Nothing specific a ballpark would be fine on the forum and I could call for specifics. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the Taylor King line memorized as I do H&M, so I would have to browse their on-line website just like you to see the offerings, sorry! Price is all over the board depending on style and cover. They can go from $ 2,500 to $ 6,500.
    Duane Collie