Thread: Another Winter Storm forecast for Wash DC on Monday 03.03.14

Default Another Winter Storm forecast for Wash DC on Monday 03.03.14

5" to 10" snow forecast for my area tomorrow morning - this could cause some havoc with my store hours tomorrow (Monday 03/03/14). We'll have to see how it is in the morning. The problem with the WASH DC region is now the snow so much (I have a 4 WD Pickup Truck and can get through it), its that other drivers get out when they shouldn't be and go sideways / crash and block the roads, then we get into gridlock situations around here as very few roads are thru roads. To get to my store for example, there is only one road, US HWY 1 an you come in from either the north or the south, but there are no alternate streets if the main highway gets closed or blocked. So if you call, keep in mind about the snowstorm and that I may not be in the store - but will be around via email / PM's working from home.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Another Winter Storm forecast for Wash DC on Monday 03.03.14

Duane,
    Having grown up and lived in Syracuse (the snow capital of the northeast) much of my life I might caution you about being confident with 4 wheel drive in the icy conditions predicted for tomorrow. While 4 wheel traction gives you a significant driving advantage you are still limited by your breaking ability. Here your truck may actually be disadvantaged due to weight distribution. Ice is tricky and I've seen many 4 wheel drive trucks in the middle of pile ups on icy roads because of limited stopping traction.

In DC the roads are at a standstill even in the bright July sunshine ...can't imagine what it is like with ice and snow. I lived in Chevy Chase, 1 mile from the DC line ..loved all but the traffic.

Heavy snow coming down as I write this, I am not opening the store at this time - working from home best I can (don't have all my price books, etc, can't check on orders and so on). Getting ready to get the snow-blower out and make the first pass before it gets too high. About 5" in the driveway right now with double that expected as the day goes by. Doubtful I will open the store today, but will be in early tomorrow for sure and work as long as needed to make sure everyone gets their H&M orders in on the last day of the Winter Sale period.

There are wrecks EVERYWHERE according to the radio, with a number of overturned vehicles. Around here everyone is used to the roads being pre-treated and they were not because it rained most the afternoon before the snow started - so they will be much slicker than usual. I grew up in Minneapolis and Chicago, and know how to drive on snow - but here when people get ther vehicles sideways the roads close down and you get jammed where you can't go forward and can't back up, so its pretty foolhardy to go out unless you have to. If I get too bored being home I may head down to the store to answer phone calls, but am wary of getting 'caught' in a jam for several hours, even though its only 12 miles to my store.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.