Thread: Suggestions for making this Benson a snazzy glider!

goldem Guest

Default Suggestions for making this Benson a snazzy glider!

I'm finally down to two finalist chairs for my living room, the Benson Glider (4703G) in Weston Navy or the Armstrong (9755) in Capri Navy with a matching footstool (099). The problem is the Armstrong's got a 17 inch seat width, and assuming it's not a misprint in H&M's listing sounds uncomfortable so I'm focusing on the glider.

In person, Weston Navy is a wonderful and deep shade of blue which is appears much lighter in every photograph I see (including photographs of the swatch I've taken!). The feel is nice (though not Capri level) so I feel comfortable with the choice of Weston on the glider. My goal here is to avoid having a standard glider and which is a more fun piece. I like what I've seen of the decorative stitching on pieces on the forum here with burnished/pullup leathers, and when I try to envision the arms and backrest welt/seams in an "i" or "j" pattern I think it adds some style.

My other thought is to add a gimp in an accent color, possibly Weston Cane Burnished. If I do that, I'm also considering having the fronts of the arms done in the same shade and possibly having the gimp extended to run under/around the roll of the top to effectively frame the back/curves of the piece while still keeping the main body's lines uninterrupted. I'm drawing inspiration from the fabulous pictures of the Somerset Cane pictures here.

Is this crazy and too much? Is there a better way to make this piece snazzy? My take on this piece is H&M's workers are artists and I'd like to show off what they can do to make what appears to me to be a fairly standard piece unique without being obnoxious/forced.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Suggestions for making this Benson a snazzy glider!

Hi GOLDEM Check out the GALLAGHER CHAIR/OTTOMAN #1527 / 1526 This chair lists 23 inches inside width.
    Every chair and ottoman I chose my husband turned down, for the same reason. I finally just ordered the AUSTIN HIGH BACK CHAIR AND A HALF /OTTOMAN . Inside width 38.5 inches. Overkill , but this is his chair... for his bedroom.. I have not received it yet

goldem Guest

Thanks MRSSQRDAWAY. I hadn't noticed that particular chair and I've got to say that's a wider seat than I expected to see based on my initial look at the frame. It's not so much that I need a very large seat, it's just that 17" is more narrow than what seems to be standard (19-20") and makes it tough to put a leg up or move about a little while seated. Silly, but 2" seems to make quite a difference when seated. But, I'm getting away from the intent of the threat.

Really what I'm looking for (again, assuming the Armstrong isn't a misprint and is actually 17" across the seat) is some outside opinions on whether the attempt at making something like the glider a bit more interesting is appropriate or a fool's errand and if the changes seem like they make sense or just create clutter.

Some chairs DO have compact seats. They try to make pieces to accommodate all sizes of customers. The 9755 Chair is correct at 17" width, I verified that with their production manager today. That measurement is taken and the narrowest part where the tuft expands the most, but it is correct.

Weston is one of those leathers that will vary considerably in color tone from batch to batch, and it would not surprise me to see a mid-tone blue vary considerably. You can always order a CFA (Cutting For Approval) prior to production if you like ($ 15 charge per CFA) if you want to be sure on the leather color before they build it, then you will get an actual sample of the leather to be used before its made.

An accent gimp is a lot of fun, highly recommended. It adds a real custom look to a piece and choose in conjunction with the nail trim to create a unique look that is yours.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

goldem Guest

Thanks a bunch Duane, I appreciate it. The arms being wider than the seat is so odd to me, but like you said some pieces just have narrow seats.

I think you're right, the gimp really looks good when I picture it on the piece.