Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat Panel Entertainment Center

Default Flat Panel Entertainment Center

Designed by me. Really! A few years back I bought a 42" Flat Plasma TV and didn't want to hang it on the wall. Nothing was in the market that appealed to me (most of it was cheaply built) so I drew this out and had JL TREHARN make it. They didn't think it would fly, but I bought three right off the bat (one went to my house) and now its the best seller in their line. This is the large model, designed to fit 50 to 55 inch models. The smaller model is 6" less in width to fit the 42" to 50" units.

Shown in Black Paint with tiger maple accents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FP Ent Center.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	182  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Love it

That wood is so beautiful. What is the price on such a piece?

That one (the larger model) is $ 3,694 as shown (Mar 2009). The smaller one which is 6" less in overall width is $ 3,224 done the same way.
    Duane Collie

soster Guest

Wow, I would have expected the prices to be higher.

HA! I guess that counters some of the people that come in and say "Its HOW MUCH? What, is it made of gold?"
    Duane Collie

NYC_Lover Guest

Since it's not made of gold, what is it made of?

It certainly is a beautiful cabinet! Is it a two-piece?

Almost the style I'm looking for. I would like to get just the bottom but with simpler, taller legs. The search continues!

That one the way you see it is solid Poplar where you see black, and then solid tiger maple where you see golden amber. Even the back of the piece is solid poplar. Also done in all cherry, and all tiger maple. Yes, its a 2-piece, it would be nearly impossible to handle otherwise.

We do the bottom section by itself for $1,364 and it measures 51" w, 20" D.

I have a new piece that I'll have in here next week from the same maker, a refinement of the design of the lower case. Now this one is fitted with glass panels in the door frames so you don't have to open the doors to use your remote equipment. On this new unit, we gave up the solid wood back and put in plywood/fiberboard to keep the price down, but the rest is all solids. Done in two sizes, the 48" being the most popular. I'll attach a photo.....going to sell for $ 1,059 as shown in the 48" size.

Next up, I'm working on a design where the TV raises up out of the cabinet on a ball bearing slide with a Bosch motor, remote-controlled. Press a button and the lid tilts back, the flat panel glides up vertically out of the chest and there ya go! When done, it closes all up and looks like a blanket chest, or other chest of drawers design. This will be closer to $ 4K as that drive system is a bit pricey. Perfect for use at the end of the master bed......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New one.JPG 
Views:	436 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	185  
    Duane Collie

NYC_Lover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have a new piece that I'll have in here next week from the same maker, a refinement of the design of the lower case. Now this one is fitted with glass panels in the door frames so you don't have to open the doors to use your remote equipment. On this new unit, we gave up the solid wood back and put in plywood/fiberboard to keep the price down, but the rest is all solids. Done in two sizes, the 48" being the most popular. I'll attach a photo.....going to sell for $ 1,059 as shown in the 48" size.
    This is very exciting news!
    Will all doors be glass or just the middle ones? Same materials? Will the legs change?

That won't have glass doors, the Flat Panel will rise up and out of the case itself. Component pieces will have to be handled using infrared repeaters as there will be no place for them in this piece. It's a concept right now, not sure if there is a strong market demand at $ 4K for this piece.
    Duane Collie

NYC_Lover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That won't have glass doors, the Flat Panel will rise up and out of the case itself. Component pieces will have to be handled using infrared repeaters as there will be no place for them in this piece. It's a concept right now, not sure if there is a strong market demand at $ 4K for this piece.
    Duane,
    I was referring to the ~$1,000 piece, not the one with the mechanism.