Thread: B&Y Dillon or H&M September - or something else entirely?

SorenK Guest

Default B&Y Dillon or H&M September - or something else entirely?

I'm looking for a solid, traditional rolled arm sofa that will last a good 10+ years both in terms of style but also function. I realy like that look, especially with exposed nail head trim. I've still have 4 kids at home, out of 7 total, and despite my efforts a reasonable amount of furniture flop and eating in the den will continue to occur. (They don't make electrified sofas, do they? Why won't they go to the playroom with the 60" TV?) Anyhow, the B&K Dillon as well as the H&M September are currently on my list as each has a promotional price point for what I believe to be quality furniture. Part of the price advantage seems to be from married cover offerings. I've read in this forum that H&M may be making their married covers in the US for better quality, but I don't know about B&Y.

Is this down to a matter of taste on the design, or are there still other options for me to consider between the two manufacturers? Or other manufactures?

Then.... what would be a complimentary recliner to pair with either - and if I go with a tobacco shade on the sofa, would a burgundy leather look good across the room on two chairs?

Soren.

Default Re: B&Y Dillon or H&M September - or something else entirely?

You might also look at the Journey Sofa from H&M, about the same overall width outside and inside as the September. It also is available in the Town & Country program at a promotional price (maybe higher than the September). The Journey also has a Lounger available. The Journey is in Document Tobacco while the September is in Document Copper I think. We almost selected the September as it was very comfortable and at one of the best prices ...then we fell in love with the Sundance and the rest is history. We decided also that the H&M line set the mark for overall quality. After a lengthy search we narrowed things down to BY or H&M. We also looked at many other manufacturers but seriously only gained a trust for those two and perhaps Smith Brothers.

You can read into the forum for definitions of Married Cover, or do a search for it. Married Cover means the leathers are sourced, cut and sewn offshore to fit a frame and all assembly and build is done in the USA. The point of a married cover is to use less costly labor ($ 1 an hour Chinese rather than $ 16 an hour USA) to mark, cut and sew that leather and thus give you a price break. So they will never be done in the USA for that reason, anything 100% done in the USA on the build will be a regular item.

If you take care of the leather and do the maintenance, then you can expect far more than 10 years of lifespan. I have many pieces in my house from both BY and H&M approaching 30 years of use and they are far from being used up.

Burgundy and browns I think look good together, depending on tones selected.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

SorenK Guest

Today I really earn that "newbie" moniker on this forum. I'm drilling down on the Dillon sofa by B&Y and notice the description shows "pillow type: Semi-attached". Other lines such as the West Haven show "pillow type: loose pillow". I also see some comments on other retailer sites about Velcro. I've no idea what they are telling me here.

I had a Natuzzi sofa years ago where the cushions and backs were leather only on one side, the backs were fabric with Velcro. Is this what B&Y is telling me? That the Dillion cushions and backs are not fully leather on all sides?

I wish the local retail stores actually had something in stock instead of just books. I can find the occasional odd chair or recliner, but nothing in the lines I actually have any interest in. Very difficult to make an informed purchase without the ability to sit on a piece you intend to spend the next 10 to 30 years with. I'm checking sizes, measuring favorite chairs to determine proper cushion depth and width, etc. Seems much harder than it should be. Clouds of despair on the horizon here.

So... am I looking at half fabric backs and cushions when I read "semi-attached"?