Thread: Matching CL H&M Austin sofa with existing Woodbridge recliner

Hezmchep Guest

Default Matching CL H&M Austin sofa with existing Woodbridge recliner

Hope you can help. I found a H&M Austin incliner sofa on Craigslist for $1500. The picture and tag are attached. I'm trying to determine if it would complement or clash with my 15 year old Woodbridge wing recliner - color Madeira wine - picture attached. It's probably too hard to determine without seeing the sofa in person but before I make the drive I thought I'd request advice from the forum. Perhaps it's best to go with a completely different color palette.

Also is $1500 a good price based on ~ 3 yr old sofa in "excellent" condition? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	6139   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	488 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	6138   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	390 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	6137  

Default Re: Matching CL H&M Austin sofa with existing Woodbridge recliner

I think that when you shop pre-owned upholstery, you can't be too choosey on color palettes. It won't be ideal, but it won't clash, either. That H&M Incliner sofa is well over $ 4K these days, so at $ 1,500 which you can probably barter down to $ 1,200 to $ 1,300 if you flash the cash, it might be worth not having a perfect color match. If you buy it, make sure you take adequate lifting assistance with you, that's a very heavy piece pushing 300 lb and takes two strong men to move, along with a real truck (don't try to carry in a minivan, or regular van or some small pickups. Rent the Home Depot or Lowe's Truck for 90 minutes, they're cheap and though the lift to the back is high, you can do it with three guys.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I think a 3-year old H&M Sofa like that one is hard to find, particularly close enough to drive and pick up. The price as offered is already good, but I agree that off Craigslist you will be able to bargain a little. The truck and helpers will be well worth the time and price. I wouldn't worry at all about the color ...you can accommodate the differences by placement in the room and by surrounding accessories. Hope you find it in excellent condition and pick it up for under $1,500.

needstuff Guest

Personally I have different personal values on the price vs. function question.
    To me, the ultimate end point of the whole endeavor is to have an attractive (and comfortable, and functional) room.
    If I can have that room by getting a used piece of furniture, thereby saving a lot of money, then that's what I want to do.
    But if I can't get that result going that route, I wouldn't want to throw something in there that will yield a suboptimal result in the room merely because it is cheap. If I'm compromising, I'd rather increase the price I'm willing to pay (to the extent I can), or reduce my quality/name brand standards, before I would materially compromise on the ultimate look of the finished room.

But that's me.

If it were me, I could see possibly putting those two items in the same room, but probably not if they have to go very close to each other.

But if you like the couch, and it's that good of a deal, and they don't go together acceptably, actually, maybe the thing to do is buy the couch and replace the chair.

PS, above comments assumed this was going in a living room where guests are expected to come. If it's going in a den, family room, etc, where no visitors are "allowed", then I'd be a lot more flexible.
    Last edited by needstuff; 03-24-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Needstuff, Kind of hard to see how you conclude you "have different personal values on the price vs. function question from all that has been written in these posts". It appears that your recommendations are nearly the same as what the rest of us have said, and certainly not conflicting with what the original post had conveyed within their question.

needstuff Guest

If my conclusion was wrong, I guess it was wrong.