Thread: Fabric Frustration Rant

needstuff Guest

Default Fabric Frustration Rant

I find it alarming how little non-cosmetic information consumers are provided with in making furniture purchases, in general.

With respect to fabrics in particular, they have properties that affect their relative suitablity, that I either know or would think have established objective measures associated with them: abrasion, sun fading, spill resistance, pill resistance, etc. Most or all of these values are not printed on the labels on fabrics we are offered to choose from. Meaning the consumer is offered only incomplete data upon which to make a choice, beyond what the various fabrics look like and their cost.

Most (but not all, IIRC)of the labels give the fabric composition. From which, if one cares to study the subject intensively, one can deduce various properties. Which may then be all wrong, given factors such as weave density and advances in materials. So this deduction method is insufficient IMO.

The fabric swatches I've seen from the jobbers like Robert Allen, or the mills, at least usually show the double rubs rating for abrasion. In addition to the materials composition.

However the information that furniture makers give consumers for their own fabrics often does not even state the double rubs rating. What they do give out varies in utility. Of the fabrics in front of me right now, from four different prominent furniture makers, none give the double rubs rating. One gives their own "wear rating", at least. The others say nothing at all, save for the materials composition and some pricing grade.
    And of course they all have some cleanability code which is always "S", (save for Crypton eg) so among most fabrics no real way to distinguish on that basis.

Rant over.
    Last edited by needstuff; 03-25-2014 at 05:16 PM.